Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    My tractor is an old M... F... and red too.

Default How long to keep inactive member

I was going thru the membership list. Muhammad signed in 1998. Membership really didn't start picking up till year 2000. In the year 2000 probably 10% or less, those member are still active. All the rest have 0 post and hold a place in line. They also hold user names in check from someone else using that name. I've noticed the big online mail system began purging unused accounts. My question is why doesn't TBN purge all this dead weight. The old saying "use it or loose it" should apply. Ok 12 years is long enough to be AWOL. You should lose your place in line for inactivity reasons alone. I bet if a an email was sent to notify the user if they don't use it they will lose it. A small % would actually act. Your thoughts. -kid
    Retired and enjoying life with my kids and grandkids -robert
    "life is too short.. eat your cake first"
    My 1965 MF 135 Z145 Refurbish Project with Pics
    TrucksByNet.com .... .... It's about Trucks... The other TBN
    My Yamaha YFP350U Terrapro's Project The only ATV with a PTO
    About ME

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Default Re: How long to keep inactive member

Quote Originally Posted by The kid View Post
    I was going thru the membership list. Muhammad signed in 1998. Membership really didn't start picking up till year 2000. In the year 2000 probably 10% or less, those member are still active. All the rest have 0 post and hold a place in line. They also hold user names in check from someone else using that name. I've noticed the big online mail system began purging unused accounts. My question is why doesn't TBN purge all this dead weight. The old saying "use it or loose it" should apply. Ok 12 years is long enough to be AWOL. You should lose your place in line for inactivity reasons alone. I bet if a an email was sent to notify the user if they don't use it they will lose it. A small % would actually act. Your thoughts. -kid
    I said the same thing months ago, that's why I got the username I have cause all the other murph names were taken.
    Murph ------------

Tractor
    NH TN 55, Kubota RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw 61" ZTR

If I was Muhammad, I would put this at the bottom of my "to do" list and keep it there. At last count there were 176,836 members. Culling the inactive members and any of their previous messages just to free up their user names would require a lot of work on the administrators' part and would reduce the membership count. Be creative if you want a "neat" user name.

Steve

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by smstonypoint View Post
    If I was Muhammad, I would put this at the bottom of my "to do" list and keep it there. At last count there were 176,836 members. Culling the inactive members and any of their previous messages just to free up their user names would require a lot of work on the administrators' part and would reduce the membership count. Be creative if you want a "neat" user name.

Steve
    No, there are 176,836 user accounts. You have no idea how many of these are double or more. If having multiple numbers of accounts is your goal, your right
    Murph ------------

Tractor
    My tractor is an old M... F... and red too.

Quote Originally Posted by smstonypoint View Post

Steve
    Steve the members I mentioned have a post count of (0) and membership date of 2000. Is that truely a member? Or bragging rights? The ones I feel could be cut would not impact the message database. It's not a request, only an observation. -robert
    Retired and enjoying life with my kids and grandkids -robert
    "life is too short.. eat your cake first"
    My 1965 MF 135 Z145 Refurbish Project with Pics
    TrucksByNet.com .... .... It's about Trucks... The other TBN
    My Yamaha YFP350U Terrapro's Project The only ATV with a PTO
    About ME

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Case DX40

A member since 2000 and not a single comment to be heard? Who'd of thought the Supreme Court justice Clarence Thomas was a member of this forum?

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by JHTFarmer View Post
    A member since 2000 and not a single comment to be heard? Who'd of thought the Supreme Court justice Clarence Thomas was a member of this forum?
    Murph ------------

That "Join Date" of 2000 may not mean the person actually joined that year. Many of us were members before that date and the changes made that year. So that post count of zero may also not be exactly right. If purging were done and usernames freed up and re-used, wouldn't there be cases in which you find posts by the same username, but actually different people? Anyway, I'm like smstonypoint; can't see that being a priority or even a need.
    Bird

Tractor

wouldn't there be cases in which you find posts by the same username, but actually different people. I think that's the point Glen
    Murph ------------

Banned
    Tractor
    2012 JD 3720 deluxe cab

Someone must be bored

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast