Forum Courtesy

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Forum Courtesy #1  

namyessam

Gold Member
Tractor
xyz
I have always been disappointed with the fighting and personel attacks on opinions and information posted in this forum. Very early on I responded to a thread stating this very problem. I stated in that thread that we were all here trying to help each other and the bickering and back stabbing is destroying the forum. People are obviously leaving and we are losing valuable experience because certain people have "attitutes". I have witnessed numerous outright verbal attacks on what is posted. Unfortunately some information posted are peoples opinions and personal experiences and not one coming from a trained professional in the field of discussion. The problem continues and is getting worse.

I am getting disappointed in some of the first time posters that ask a question and they get several answers, some requiring very detailed investigation and containing very long explanations. The OP sometimes never ever even checks for answers to their questions or replys back with a thankyou or answers if or not the information helped solved their problem.

I have been personally attacked and questioned as to my backround experience when I replied to a thread. I would venture to guess a great majority of posters are not professional tractor mechanics that practice their trade on a daily basis. I would guess the majority of us are tractor owners that have gained most of our knowledge repairing automobiles, tractors and lawn equipment.

Recently I replied to a thread where the OP stated that he had absolutely no experience in the area of his question. I responded that I did not think that his idea would work and explained why based on my personal experience and from information gained from far more experienced people on this forum. I questioned the OP on very specific details on how his equipment was built and confirmed how it operated so I could have confidence that I was giving accurate information to the best of my ability with the information the OP gave me.

In the end the OP lashed out at me saying I did not know what I was talking about, was giving out unsafe information that would get someome hurt, it was egotistical nonsense, baseless, absurd, and flat out insulting. What came out of this post is that in the end the conclusions he came up with were exactly what I was trying to get across to him but would not allow himself to try to understand what I was saying. His post started out asking questions about a specific product he was wanting to use, and any other information that would be helpfull, I did not have any experience with the product, but did have information on the system he was trying to build. He then went ahead and tore everything apart and figured out for himself what he wanted to know. I don't know still if his idea's will work and I have some other suggestions that may help but too bad for him, I'll never divulge that information. I don't know why he bothered wasting his time posting his question and then tell me I did not know what I was talking about when I was the only one to respond with usefull information. I have no idea what these people expect. I included some very basic information early in the thread not knowing the OP's backround, length of tractor ownership and experience. I even stated that I did not want to insult him but he obviously was.

I have resisted in replying to other threads since then and there are at least three other current threads asking for similar information. I have no desire to participate in this forum if thats the way people are going to react and behave. Some of you will probably say "Good Riddance" but it will be your loss, and also mine.

SEE YA
namyessam

/ Forum Courtesy #2  
Sadly, there are many people on here (and in the world) who lack common courtesy and don't seem to know how to respectfully disagree with someone else who is trying to help them.
Not much that can be done about it though. If they are really nasty, report the post and let the moderators take a look at it.

Aaron Z

/ Forum Courtesy #3  
Sam I think your skills will be missed but I can't understand how you would let that yawho get under your skin. This is the internet, you can be what ever you want to be but so can them also. Stick around I need 135 people.

/ Forum Courtesy #4  
I think that in this forum, we have a mix of ego, experience,knowledge, ignorance, know-it-alls, 'I Must have the last word'ers, but honestly, it's no different than anywhere else in the real world, save for the fact that we are veiled behind the internet. There are many on the prowl here who spew absolute garbage, sometimes to the point of being dangerous, and others who will try to instigate an argument just for the sake of it, and anywhere else in the world would receive a knuckle sandwich in return...My point? In short, your experience is valuable. Even if the OP, or someone else finds fault with it. I have had to develop a little thicker skin at times on here, but I can say I've had way more fun giving and receiving advice and even at times just saying dumb stuff(i.e. the infamous 'post counts not rising' thread.) Stay around. It'll be worth it. ;-)

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ Forum Courtesy #5  
Hi Sam or whoever... sorry to see you go! Believe it or not this site is the most respectful of the forums I have participated in. Yes there are a few bad apples and sometimes even well meaning posts can be taken wrong. It is a difficult thing to communicate the written word. No way to tell the mood or whether it is in jest or whatever. That said, my guess is that the vast majority here are great people who mean well. Some can't express as well as others, and some have far more experience than others, but that is what makes this place what it is. Good luck to you and I am sorry you feel this way. I hope you are not basing your decision to 'leave' on one OP or thread. But you do have to have a bit of thick skin here for those who just don't get it.

Personally, I am grateful for this site and the expertise, insight, and humor of others. I hope I have contributed at least my fair share! :2cents:

/ Forum Courtesy #6  
Believe it or not this site is the most respectful of the forums I have participated in.
:yes:

/ Forum Courtesy #7  
As an equipment mechanic with nearly 27 years of experience I try to refrain from answering a lot of questions that maybe too model specific. I also try to keep away from situations where the question has already been answered, even when I know the response will take the OP in the wrong direction, in order to avoid the conflict. Sometimes I have to work really hard at not thanking people for correcting me, that apparently I've been doing things wrong for the last 27 years. Personalities here and on discussion boards in general, keep me from posting more. I let the self-important have their fun while shaking my head.

Brian

/ Forum Courtesy #8  
Brian, I forget your background experience, maybe I'll PM you for advice sometimes if you don't mind. I'm a backyard hack with a lot of experience(skinned knuckles), to prove it. I get into less than dignified conversations in politics and religion and I'm trying to stay away from those now. otherwise, I'm Mr. Niceguy!:D

/ Forum Courtesy #9  
Brian, I forget your background experience, maybe I'll PM you for advice sometimes if you don't mind. I'm a backyard hack with a lot of experience(skinned knuckles), to prove it. I get into less than dignified conversations in politics and religion and I'm trying to stay away from those now. otherwise, I'm Mr. Niceguy!:D

I started out working on German cars after I completed auto/diesel trade school. In the summer of '87 the local Kubota dealer needed a mechanic on a day I needed a job. Up to that point I had zero tractor experience. I took to it very quickly and spent the next 12+ years at that dealership and another one. Then I ventured out on my own with my own mobile equipment repair business. One of my customers ended up getting big enough that I ended up exclusively working for him for 8 years through the housing boom and collapse. Now I've been back on my own the last 5 years. Kubotas are what I know best but I have worked on a large variety of equipment and still do.

Brian

/ Forum Courtesy #10  
"The OP sometimes never ever even checks for answers to their questions or replys back with a thankyou or answers if or not the information helped solved their problem."

I almost posted that same complaint but you did it for me.
Many replies here take a considerable amount of thought and effort. When the OP does not acknowledge the help, it discourages those who could be of great help.

Folks, please reply with an answer that tells how the problem was resolved.

Also, when asking a question, please make an effort to include a detailed description of whatever you are having a problem with. The more information you give, the better answers you will get.
To say " my AC is blowing hot air, what do I do?" or "my well is not putting out water, what do I do?" is NOT the way to ask a question that will get helpful answers.

OK, rant off.....

Status
Not open for further replies.