stack overflow errors

/ stack overflow errors #11  
It happens. We run IE8 at work as we still have a few XP boxes left. Some of our legacy programs are not Win 7 or IE9 or higher compatible. I get the stack overflow occasionally from certain websites that are no longer IE8 compatible such as AOL. I am updating my last XP box at home today to Win 7. Something keeps crashing the desktop and I can't get it to keep recovered. It would appear that XP and IE8 will go by the wayside faster than when support ended for earlier operating systems such as Win 95, 98, or ME because of the programming difference from IE8 to IE9 and higher.

/ stack overflow errors
seems like it would be EZ to detectwhat the other system has and display accordingly. onthe oher hand. the forcefeed and clos your eyes method must be easier. ;)

the difference between a good programmer and a great one. ;)

/ stack overflow errors #13  
But ... At what point would you free these guys from supporting a system that is already over 13 years old? Should they worry about people on Win95, from around 1990?

There comes a time when you, as a consumer, have to decide if being stubborn is in your best interest.

/ stack overflow errors #14  
These days (with the WWW a little over 20 years old) we are practically back to the late 90's when it comes to browsers and how they render requests...(remember the "browser wars"?)
One of the biggest issues these days is semantic markup...before the push to using CSS almost all designers used tables (or in some cases "layers")...now days using tables for layout is a no-no if you want optimum SEO according to many search engines...

The problems lie with the way browsers render CSS layouts and the content they offer (including advertising)...i.e., what displays wonderfully on one browser (version) may not display the same on others...today's designers (webmasters) have to jump through hoops to get their designs to display the way they want on a majority of browsers...

For a long time M$ft (IE) refused to conform to WC3 standards and many versions still don't...
Today the biggest challenge is to make the same markup display on so many different screens/devices including touch/no touch applications...some designs require more RAM than older operating systems will support...
in some cases there is no compromising...

/ stack overflow errors #15  
The problems lie with the way browsers render CSS layouts and the content they offer (including advertising)...i.e., what displays wonderfully on one browser (version) may not display the same on others...today's designers (webmasters) have to jump through hoops to get their designs to display the way they want on a majority of browsers...

For a long time M$ft (IE) refused to conform to WC3 standards and many versions still don't...
Today the biggest challenge is to make the same markup display on so many different screens/devices including touch/no touch applications...some designs require more RAM than older operating systems will support...
in some cases there is no compromising...

Yep. We had a website at work that took 3 weeks to build and make look good on Chrome, Firefox and IE 9. We then spent another 2-3 weeks making it work well on IE7 and IE 8. We made it work on IE 6 but the "bling" (rounded corners, nice fonts, etc) were not possible.

Aaron Z

/ stack overflow errors
But ... At what point would you free these guys from supporting a system that is already over 13 years old? Should they worry about people on Win95, from around 1990?

There comes a time when you, as a consumer, have to decide if being stubborn is in your best interest.

i still access govt websites that require IE as a browser and support ie 6 standards.. ;) and when i said REQUIRE IE as a browser, they apaprently mean it.

I know it's possible to support older browsers. I still see some sites asking for netscape!!!

heck. even on win 8 phone, it's still a 50-50 toss up as to if i can post or just browse!, even using other browsers!!

win 8 rt seems to let me browse/post fine from the surface tablet..