New user title levels?

/ New user title levels? #51  
Bird, Junkman, and others...
I know what I intended to convey, but maybe it was received in another way. I didn't intend to belittle the "socializing". That has it's place certainly. I think Junkman's reference to "me-too type of posts" conveys what I intended to say better than "socializing". Maybe in another fifty or sixty years I'll learn to proofread better before I post.

/ New user title levels? #52  
Glen
I didn't read it that you were belittling anyone. I think that we all grow to know and appreciate those who have something to say, and say it without trying to offend someone. I find that a response to an individual isn't always just to that individual, but to the hundreds of 'readers' who can benefit from a direct answer. Too often, the poster gets a message back thinking it was directed just at him, and can be offended. I too often offend (I think, as well as have been reprimanded by our leader in a 'loving' way) but don't mean to.
I don't think we need an increase in 'title' levels, as after a few hundred posts (as already has been stated), we know who has something helpful to say. Counting the number of posts for 'titles' is rather meaningless (remember, I don't mean to offend here) IMO, and are like the rating systems that Bird mentioned, they never work (but keeps the bean counters busy dreaming up new ones though) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif .
Bird epitomizes the technique of carefully responding with information that is authorative and based on experience. I'm probably too old to grow wings and try to fly with him, but its a motivational thought. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ New user title levels? #53  
Interesting thread.

I see I'm on the verge of joining the elite. Never been there before. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hope they don't disown me on sight.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I find that a response to an individual isn't always just to that individual, but to the hundreds of 'readers' who can benefit from a direct answer. )</font>

Over the last eight years or so I've developed a philosophy about posting. One of the things I try to consider is that the one I'm replying to isn't the only one reading it. And some of the readers might not be as technically proficient as others.

So I probably come across as talking down and I don't mean it that way. I'm trying to explain it to the many other readers who might benefit from the conversation.

Another thing is that I believe the posters are a small minority of those who read the threads. Some I sure read because there's nothing better to do. But I suspect a lot of them are rather shy, interested but shy. Sorta kinda like the prettiest girl at the dance isn't always the one on the floor. Shyness happens. And it doesn't just affect the shy one but it also deprives the pretty girl of a good time too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I try to write a reply or post for someone but for everyone interested.

The upside of this attitude is I can take a criticism as one amongst many perspectives. There will be readers seeing me getting my comeupance and figure about time. But I hope there will be others who have good taste, great perspective on life, and are good lookin'. They, I'm sure jump to my defense. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ New user title levels? #54  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hope they don't disown me on sight )</font>

I doubt you have anything to worry about, as they havn't thrown me out yet...

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I believe the posters are a small minority of those who read the threads )</font>

I agree. Many people come here for answers. If you do a search on tractor on any of the big internet search sites.. TBN and YT are always among the top hits. Tht tells you that there are probably tons of lurkers out there.

And as Bird said.. those who have been here longer should know better then to start inapropriate posts... er..um.. oh.. wait a minute.. I think I need to go punish myself /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Soundguy

/ New user title levels? #55  
Bird you are way too humble and too gracious to others. I can't think of anyone here on TBN or in my regular life that has such a vast array of knowledge on so many subjects. You are in a class by yourself and a true scholar and gentleman. I know I certainly appreciate and thank you for being a sounding board and such a good friend to me over the time I've been here on TBN.

/ New user title levels? #57  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I wish I'd have said that. )</font>

Yep.. can't argue with that statement... no matter who said it /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Soundguy

/ New user title levels? #58  
Glen,
As one who does more socializing than contributing to the knowledge base, I can honestly say that your original post was well worded and un-offensive. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wroughtn_harv ,
You NEVER come across as talking down to anyone. You always come across as a teacher and craftsman. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Doc,
Your comments about Bird are right in the 10 ring! Well said. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif