New forum idea

/ New forum idea #11  
I despair over the clutter of non-tractor topics cluttering T-B-N already. The amount of gun posts, pet posts and truck posts is appalling. Nothing wrong with these topics BUT THEY ARE NOT GERMANE TO TRACTORS.

Let people primarily interested in saw mills go to the forestry forum/blog.

I disagree.

Nobody forces you to read the sub-forums you're not interested in.

What makes a site like this is the attitudes of the members, the tone, the customs. In short, the culture. The moderators help shape it, some comes from the members, the topic and the history of the site. I like this site because it has a good culture. It's easier to transfer that culture to a new topic than the other way around.

/ New forum idea #12  
Most everybody involved with it is very helpful & pretty darn nice, except the owner/administrator. What might the thought be on starting a forestry section on this forum?

No truer words have ever been said. I give the man a little bit of slack because he has an empire I think, and does not want to go back to cutting wood to make a living, but I would not exactly call us friends either. (LOL)

A great place to go for forestry related stuff however is Firewood Hoarders Club. Great people and very understanding. There are many of us on there that make a living from Logging, but many who just maintain the woodlots too.

I am in NO WAY trying to lead people away from here. Having a forestry sub-forum on would be good, yet others should know that if that is not the case, Firewood Hoarders Club is a great forum for forestry related stuff without the dominance as well. (BTW: I thought i was the only one that thought that way about the Forestry Forum Owner). If a forestry section existed on here, I think it would be good too.

As for land clearing, I accidentally got into it as a side-line after retirement and feel it is a rather unique aspect of tractor ownership and not really forestry related.

/ New forum idea #13  
Here more great TRACTOR threads:

1) Welded table base for concrete dining table
2) What did you do on the first day of retirement?
3) Countertops
4) Kentucky weather, again.
5) Experience with spray foam insulation
6) recomendations for a fitness tracker watch that can operate stand alone / no phone

And yet there you are, posting away in the international travel thread, chainsaw threads, scissor lifts, sales records for GM in China... did you ever get your prickly pear under control with herbicide? :)

I tend to like not just the tractor talk here, but also the general conversation about people's lives, how they use their tractors, projects, accessories, how the economy may effect our tractor purchases, land purchases, kids in rural/tractor life... welding is a part of rural life. We perfect these skills to make repairs, but why not share some pictures of welded art? Many of us are retired. Some, like me, are in a 2nd career. I like to see how folks allocate their time to get in some tractoring. Countertops? Why not? We all gotta eat those veggies we grow in our gardens maintained with our tractors. Kentucky weather? Can't drive the tractor in the clay if its too wet. Spray foam insulation? Gotta seal up that tractor shed or house. Fitness tracker? We all could use a bit of health education.

Why does your avatar picture have someone standing inside by a beverage bottle???

Why do I have a picture of Teddy Roosevelt being bullish on PowerTrac?

Because its fun to hang out with friends and shoot the bologna once in a while!

:)

/ New forum idea #14  
Works for me, but how would it differ from Land Clearing?

They're related but different.

Land clearing is when you have land that is covered by forest and you want to use it for something else. Forestry is when you have land covered by forest and you want to preserve and enhance the forest to take advantage of its output -- wood and wood products. They have in common that both involve felling trees but not much else. As another poster pointed out, land clearing is mostly about equipment, forestry is about technique.

/ New forum idea #15  
And yet there you are, posting away in the international travel thread, chainsaw threads, scissor lifts, sales records for GM in China... did you ever get your prickly pear under control with herbicide? :)

I tend to like not just the tractor talk here, but also the general conversation about people's lives, how they use their tractors, projects, accessories, how the economy may effect our tractor purchases, land purchases, kids in rural/tractor life... welding is a part of rural life. We perfect these skills to make repairs, but why not share some pictures of welded art? Many of us are retired. Some, like me, are in a 2nd career. I like to see how folks allocate their time to get in some tractoring. Countertops? Why not? We all gotta eat those veggies we grow in our gardens maintained with our tractors. Kentucky weather? Can't drive the tractor in the clay if its too wet. Spray foam insulation? Gotta seal up that tractor shed or house. Fitness tracker? We all could use a bit of health education.

Why does your avatar picture have someone standing inside by a beverage bottle???

To pile on, I've been on forums where the moderators are ruthless about prohibiting any off-topic discussions. They're not much fun.

/ New forum idea #16  
Being just a tractor forum would be boring. It's all the other stuff that brings a well rounded discourse. I have learned so much non tractor stuff that I didn't realize I needed to learn.

More topics the better, IMHO.

/ New forum idea #17  
Here more great TRACTOR threads:

1) Welded table base for concrete dining table
2) What did you do on the first day of retirement?
3) Countertops
4) Kentucky weather, again.
5) Experience with spray foam insulation
6) recomendations for a fitness tracker watch that can operate stand alone / no phone

I guess you’re one of the people that get mad when stuff goes off topic. It’s either that or die in the first page. How much tractor stuff can you talk about in the middle of winter. Maybe you like reading the same 3 threads over and over. In any case it’s not going to end anytime soon, so get over it or leave.

/ New forum idea #18  

:thumbsup: +1

/ New forum idea #20  
Last edited: