"Save as a Draft" Option?

/ "Save as a Draft" Option? #1  

mundamanu

Silver Member
Tractor
TC40A, Ford 8600, MF65
\"Save as a Draft\" Option?

I don't know anything about any of this stuff, so I don't know if I am asking you to build a mountain, but how complicated would it be to add a "save as a draft" option to the posting window?

I was writing a response to a few responses to a question that I asked earlier today and then I decided to wait and see what a few more people had to say before responding. It would have been nice to be able to save my post as a draft and then return to it later.

I am fully aware that I could have done this on my own by copying and then pasting my draft post into a word processing program; I just mean it would have been nice to be able to do this from within TBN.

Does anybody else think this would be a good option?

Has this already been considered and rejected?

/ "Save as a Draft" Option? #2  
Re: \"Save as a Draft\" Option?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Does anybody else think this would be a good option? )</font>

I think you answered the solution right here:

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am fully aware that I could have done this on my own by copying and then pasting my draft post into a word processing program; )</font>

/ "Save as a Draft" Option?

Well, I think I provided a solution. I still think that it would be much more convenient and efficient if the same functionality were coded into TBN, if the owners think it is a worthwhile option to have.

As I mentioned, I do not know if this would amount to a colossal, an ordinary or even a simple task. If the former, it is likely to not be worth it. If the middle or latter, however, it might add to the already excellent capabilities of TBN.

/ "Save as a Draft" Option? #4  

Another round-about option that will at least keep the text you want within TBN would be to send yourself a PM with your message text in it. The advantage with this method is you'd have the text from another computer (work vs. home, not that any of us are visiting TBN while at work /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif ).

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ "Save as a Draft" Option?

RobS,

I had not thought of that. That's a good round-about option.

/ "Save as a Draft" Option? #6  

I prefer to write my posts in "Word" and then cut/paste into the posting window. It allows a larger screen for input and you can also look over other posts in the thread and respond, where in the posting window you only have access to the particular thread that you're responding to.

/ "Save as a Draft" Option? #7  

I've been in the same situation in the past and did a Ctrl N to open a new (duplicate) window. I then cruised around TBN and other sites in this new window to gather the information I wanted. The original window with the text I had started is always there to return to and edit.

Of course, if I wanted to shut down the computer and go to bed, I would lose my text. That's when a "save as draft" option would be really /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

/ "Save as a Draft" Option? #8  

Learn something every day. I never heard of that Ctrl N trick before.

/ "Save as a Draft" Option? #9  

Bird,
Go up to File, then to New, and then to Window. Next to "Window" is "Ctrl+N".

I think it's pretty neat that you can do almost any Microsoft Windows function from the keyboard instead of a mouse. There's four of them that I use every single day--
Undo (Ctrl+Z), Cut (Ctrl+X), Copy (Ctrl+C), and Paste (Ctrl+V), but there are others that I am learning about each day that I never knew existed! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Boy, I sure get excited about silly little things, don't I? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ "Save as a Draft" Option? #10  

Yep, Andy, this contraption will definitely do a lot more than I know how to do. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I do use the keyboard for some functions, but use the mouse much more.