How to: Columnar Information

/ How to: Columnar Information #1  

kemartin3

Bronze Member
Tractor
1999 Kubota L3710GST
There was a short discussion of this back in '01, and maybe nothing has changed.

I've collected some information about adjusting slip clutches that I'd like to share. It seems to be a recurring subject in the attachments forum. The information needs to be presented in table format. I've tried using the "code" tags (supposedly really the [pre], [/pre] tags behind the scenes). But nothing I've stumbled across will let me post information using a fixed (monospace) font so the columns will line up.

I'm using IE v6.0

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Kevin

/ How to: Columnar Information #2  
Would the table lend itself to being presented as an attached image (screen shot) of a table (word processor or perhaps spreadsheet-based) from your system? Or is it too many columns/rows for that?

/ How to: Columnar Information
Tim,

I could probably get it done that way, with enough effort. My understanding is that images have to come from a web location, which I don't have. So I would have to go sign up for one of the free web locations, then, then.... Just seems to me that there has got to be some way to make a fixed font capability available for this kind of stuff. Personally, I think I'd rather see these kind of discussions all be fixed, and eliminate the alignment "issues" from the get-go.

/ How to: Columnar Information #4  
Do a screen shot in Excel (or whatever spread sheet) using Alt-Print Screen. Open Paint and paste this in there. Save as a JPEG (.JPG) and send this to TBN in a new message as an attachement.

/ How to: Columnar Information #5  
Kevin,

You can save a snapshot of your screen to the clipboard by hitting the PrintScreen button. Then open it in Paint, Irfanview, etc., crop and save to your desktop as a <100kb jpg file. Then you can attach it to one of your messages (see attached).

On the preview screen (2nd step, before posting), there is a box where you can attach a file. Just browse on your computer for the saved screen shot and select it. Then post the message.

<font color="red"> edit - at the risk of being chastized for posting incorrect information, I changed the attachment to a chart that shows some comparative specs on 30-35hp tractors. It's a better example of using this method to achieve what the original poster was trying for. Please forgive me (or better yet - correct me) if any of the specs are incorrect. </font>

Attachments

• 472071-Clipboard01.jpg
    472071-Clipboard01.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 111
   / How to: Columnar Information #6  
<font color="blue">Then you can attach it to one of your messages (see attached).

On the preview screen (2nd step, before posting), there is a box where you can attach a file. Just browse on your computer for the saved screen shot and select it. Then post the message. </font>
Then you can put it in the text by using image and referencing the web address that shows up when you view the attachment (http://www.tractorbynet.com/forumfiles/472071-screenshot.JPG)

472072-screenshot.jpg

Attachments

• 472072-screenshot.jpg
    472072-screenshot.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 101
   / How to: Columnar Information #7  
<font color="blue"> Then you can put it in the text by using image </font>
1. Most TBNers who connect via dialin don't appreciate inline images.
2. When using inline images, please resize to 640 x 480 so people do not have to scroll left and right.

/ How to: Columnar Information #8  
Although it's not mentioned in the FAQ that I could find, it probably does annoy some to have to scroll or wait for the download of the image.
In the situation where he's trying to display a table with tabular data it would probably be more appropriate to attach the file rather than display within the text. That way he could leave it at a size that was readable and not annoy those who are more sensitive.

/ How to: Columnar Information #9  
<font color="blue">1. Most TBNers who connect via dialin don't appreciate inline images.
2. When using inline images, please resize to 640 x 480 so people do not have to scroll left and right. </font>

Sorry /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I get spoiled at work on the T1 line and 21" monitor.

/ How to: Columnar Information
Thanks all. I'll putz with it (technical term used by someone--me--incompetent is that particular area of technology) and see what I can do. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Kevin