Inline Pics

/ Inline Pics #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Where did you hear that it was coming this way? I haven't heard any local gossip. )</font>

I'm checking with the person who told me about it. Please hang on...

Who's your power company (or what power companies do you have available to you)?

Brian

/ Inline Pics #12  
Loudon Utilities Board. They buy power directly from TVA.

/ Inline Pics #13  
My bad. It's not available in your area. They're still in Cincinnati. I thought they were farther out but are starting now in Cinn. and expanding from there. The guy I know that's getting it has Cinergy for his power company.

Anyway, the company that carries it is www.current.com

/ Inline Pics #14  
Bob and SnowRidge,
IE has an option to mitigate graphics under:
tools--internet options--advanced--multimedia options
show pictures ---is the box to select

This may help you, Bob, out.

FWIW I am in the same boat, having moved 10 miles away I have lost cable modem access. I sit in a very technology savvy area too. It is most annoying that I cannot get broadband. A local power company was testing BPL (broadband over powerline) but again, was testing, not is, and not close enough anyway.

Try the IE option if your using it..
-Mike Z.

/ Inline Pics #15  
Thanks, Mike, but IE, ugh. I never use it. Most of the time, I'm running Linux anyway.

I can deal with the inline stuff at 128k (although I would prefer not to have to), but I know a lot of people can't, and I think there is a bit of abuse of the inlining capabilities (repeated posting of the same pictures, etc.) I am mainly here to show support and argue for those stuck with 56k--or worse.

/ Inline Pics #16  
A bunch of random thoughts about image display, in which I often contradict myself.

The advantage to online pics is that I already have a web site with gallery software, and I tend to upload almost all of my pictures there. The gallery software has an automatic resize function, so I generally just upload the raw pics. If I use the inline function, I can just link to my the picture in my gallery and my work is done. In order to send the picture as an attachment, I have to first save it to my local computer, do further resizing if necessary, then upload it to TBN.

On the other hand, most people do not have that kind of gallery setup, and setting up pictures for linking ranges anywhere from difficult to impossible. For these folks, the attachment feature is better than sliced bread. If you use the attachment feature, it takes additional steps to then link to your own uploaded picture and show it as an inline image. I've never iunderstood why anyone would go to all that extra work.

Even though it's easier for me to use linked inline images, I still remember my dialup days and go to the extra trouble to use attachments.

One other advantage to inline images is that I can display an image, write some text, display another image, write another caption, and so on, all in one post, instead of making multiple posts.

Most forums require linking to pictures because they are not as generous as TBN to provide storage space for all those pictures.

/ Inline Pics #17  
<font color="blue"> (If I use the inline function, I can just link to my the picture in my gallery and my work is done. In order to send the picture as an attachment, I have to first save it to my local computer, do further resizing if necessary, then upload it to TBN.) </font>

Don, couldn't you just use the URL function instead of the Image function? Am I missing something?

<font color="blue"> (One other advantage to inline images is that I can display an image, write some text, display another image, write another caption, and so on, all in one post, instead of making multiple posts. )</font>

That's true, but with some moderators deleting inline images and some clearly not, are you still doing that? Right now, I am completely confused as to what the TBN policy on inline images really is. MikePA is deleting them. I'm pretty sure MossRoad isn't, and I have no idea what the others are doing. The FAQ still contains instructions on how to post inline images. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Inline Pics #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( MikePA is deleting them )</font>

To the best of my knowledge, he had not "deleted" a single image; only changed them from inline to attachments so they're still there for anyone who wishes to view them.

And for anyone who does not know it, you can create your own photo gallery in the PHOTOS section of TBN (don't even had to downsize the photos first) and then provide a link to any photo you want to talk about in the DISCUSSIONS forums.

For example, here is one photo from my gallery.

/ Inline Pics #19  
<font color="blue"> (To the best of my knowledge, he had not "deleted" a single image; only changed them from inline to attachments so they're still there for anyone who wishes to view them.) </font>

Yes, that is what I should have written. I didn't put that well at all. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Inline Pics #20  
I've got to put in my vote for attachments or links vs inline pics. I'm on a 56K modem and almost always connect at 52.0K which is pretty darn good for a modem. HOWEVER, inline pics can really slow down the viewing.

I'd like to "catch up" as it was suggested, but there are currently no alternatives in our rural community except for satelite which is too $$ right now.

Thanks, but I'll wait!!

Kevin