Inline Pics

/ Inline Pics #1  

rockyridgefarm

Elite Member
Tractor
Yanmar YT347
I love inline pics. Graphics are what makes the www work. I like my pictures WITH the text.

Some people wish they could like them, but their internet is too slow and have to avoid threads that include them. That is too bad.

Gatorboy made a suggestion that inline pics be made a reader's choice to view/not view, just like sigs. They could be default to not view, and appear as a link.

I think it is a great idea (probably gator's big hat keeping his brain cool didn't hurt here...)

I also realize that little ideas can be a lotta work for them that keep the lights on. But if this is do-able, it is likey to be appreciated!

/ Inline Pics #2  
Mike I'll be the first to agree & disagree with you. I travel a lot with my laptop. In line pictures are easy and great if you have HIGH SPEED access. If you don't, and suffer with dial up, then even the little graphic signature posted at the bottom of your posts can be painfully slow. T1, DSL and cable all make things wonderful and enrich the internet experience . . . but a 56k dial up is brutal with graphics! Having to switch my settings as I move from hotel to hotel and decided what modem speed I have would be a pain in the rear. And what would the default be for new users?

/ Inline Pics #3  
This is what I had suggested. Ironically this was the last post of the All... thread. I hope I didn't cause it to get closed.

Regarding these two (2) questions in your profile settings:

View other user's pictures in their profile?
View user's pictures with their posts?

Maybe these could be lumped together and cause both to happen with a YES/NO, and a new question could be made, such as Convert inline images to links?. This would then keep the same database format and only the code to do the link translation this would have to be written.

Thoughts?

/ Inline Pics
Great point, Bob. But there still might be a way... Like a toggle switch link at the top of the page to turn 'em on or off...

/ Inline Pics #5  
<font color="blue"> ( but a 56k dial up is brutal with graphics!) </font>

It sure is, and that's if you can get close to 56k in speed. In my neck of the woods, telco practices limit 56k dial up to 26.6k. At that speed, brutal doesn't begin to describe it. Most of the folk who suffer under these kind of conditions are, drum roll please, in the country, so it seems to me that TBN is the one place that ought to do all it can to eliminate unwanted inline graphics.

Disclaimer: We installed 128k ISDN to get past the 26.6k limit, but that's not a viable option for most people.

/ Inline Pics
I live WAY out. But I have dsl now, so the rest of you better catch up!!!

But satelite, while not perfect, did a great job. And many are getting wireless. Before long, pots will be just a memory for internet access....

/ Inline Pics #7  
DSL would be nice, but the local telco seems to be concentrating on DSL only where they have a cable or a direct fiber competitor. We are six to eight miles from the nearest cable and nowhere near the direct fiber provider.

I look at satellite now and then, but there seem to be a ton of horror stories, and the only people we actually know that have it have had outages that lasted up to two weeks. Then there are the latency issues that would hobble some of the work my wife does.

As far as I can determine, nobody is planning a wireless network in this area.

It looks like we will be staying with ISDN for the foreseeable future, while hoping and praying they don't manage to jack the rates on that.

/ Inline Pics #8  
<font color="blue"> (This is what I had suggested. Ironically this was the last post of the All... thread. I hope I didn't cause it to get closed.) </font>

I'm pretty sure there were later posts. I suspect one of them was the cause.

/ Inline Pics #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( As far as I can determine, nobody is planning a wireless network in this area.)</font>

I heard that whatever they call the internet through the power lines may be heading your way. Have you looked at (or heard about) it?

/ Inline Pics #10  
Yes, the power companies have used that sort of thing for remote control applications for many years. The analog version is called power line carrier. I don't know if they still use that name or not for the digital stuff.

Where did you hear that it was coming this way? I haven't heard any local gossip.