General Forum Instructions??

/ General Forum Instructions?? #1  

CVHoss

Gold Member
Tractor
J.D. 4400
In a few (older) posts, I've seen reference to an "instructions" link. I have been unable to locate this link. Is there an area of the site that describes general use and such? Things of interest are; I had tried to edit a post and was told that it was past the time to allow editing. Is there an area that tells what this time limit is along with any other rules? Also, I notice several levels of membership (silver, gold, new member, etc.) and, if like other forums I use, are reflective of the number of posts the user has made. Is there an area that describes the membership levels?

Thanks for the help.
Hoss

jdhsc.gif

/ General Forum Instructions?? #2  
Hoss,

We'll be putting together a new/improved FAQ section with all that information in it. Should be available with a few weeks, maybe.

Post editing is allowed for 12 hours.

User titles are:

0 Posts: Visitor
1 Post: New Member
10 Posts: Member
25 Posts: Bronze Member
75 Posts: Silver Member
150 Posts: Gold Member
300 Posts: Platinum Member
500 Posts: Veteran Member

msig.gif

/ General Forum Instructions??
Thanks for the quick reply Muhammad. Since I'm new to compact tractors and your forum, I've been trying to catch up on some of the older posts. On several of them with an attachment, presumably a photo, I get a 404 error when trying to open the attachment. Is there a time limit on how long a file is retained on your server, such as FIFO, or is the 404 caused by a change to a new server?

Thanks,
Hoss

jdhsc.gif

/ General Forum Instructions?? #4  
Attachments older than January 1, 2001, were pruned, but we're going to attempt to replace them soon.

msig.gif

/ General Forum Instructions?? #5  
Muhammad, it is now 8/29/01, suppose it would be prudent to wait until after the 01/01/02 'pruning' to bring them back? Then you would only have to do it once! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ General Forum Instructions?? #6  
We won't be pruning them again, so when we restore the ones that were removed, doesn't really matter. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

msig.gif

/ General Forum Instructions?? #7  
Muhammad, I too look forward to updated FAQ. I'm one of the users that is on the computer illiterate side of things, and am figuring things out as I go along. Based on many posts I've read, I'm not alone in this. Thanks...

And since questions are being asked: if a member is responding to different posts, short of writing down each topic that you have responded to, is there a way to 'easily get to' whatever post you have responded to? Sometimes I lose track. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

/ General Forum Instructions?? #8  
Joyce, looks like Muhammad is not online at the moment, and maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, but did you know that you can click on your name (or anyone other member's name) at the top of any posted message and that will take you to that member's profile? Then at the bottom of the profile page, you can click on "Show all user's posts" and see a list of all the messages that person has posted in chronological order.

Bird

/ General Forum Instructions?? #9  
Joyce,

We have a feature to track threads coming soon... in the mean time, you can do what Bird suggested... and view the list of your posts through your profile to check the threads.

msig.gif

/ General Forum Instructions?? #10  
<font color=blue>if a member is responding to different posts, short of writing down each topic that you have responded to, is there a way to 'easily get to' whatever post you have responded to? Sometimes I lose track</font color=blue>

Joyce,

I presume you're using Win98 or a derivative along with a recent version of Internet Exploder, er Explorer? If yes, then something that I do instead of simply clicking on the reply button, I right-click on it. This brings up a short list of options, one of which is entitled: "Open in New Window". Select that, and your Reply window will be in a separate window, and you can switch back and forth to refer to other posts.

The GlueGuy