Linking to Photo at TBN to Display within the post

/ Linking to Photo at TBN to Display within the post #1  

Glenn9643

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF 1455v 4wd, 1040FEL
I've tried a couple of times to link to a picture that's been uploaded to the TBN Photos, and make it display within the post, using the "Image" option given when preparing the post. All I ended up with was a line of text. I ended up using the "URL" funtion, and pasted the URL to lead the reader to the picture.
Any pointers as to how this should work? I copied the URL for the pic from a separate browser screen and entered it as prompted but no results. The same URL works fine using the URL function???

[image]http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/973/size/big/sort/1/cat/500[/image]

/ Linking to Photo at TBN to Display within the post
When using the same URL, and posting a link using the URL function, it works fine.

Picture

/ Linking to Photo at TBN to Display within the post #3  
The Image Instant Markup has to point to an image file, e.g., something that ends in .jpg. Links to images in the photo forum are not lke that. Also, posting inline images is not something that's modem user friendly. A link is much better than an inline image.

Thanks.
If it's not politically correct to post inline, maybe we don't need the option???

/ Linking to Photo at TBN to Display within the post #5  
It's got nothing to do with being 'politically correct', it's simply being considerate of those people who connect to TBN via a modem as well as giving everyone a choice to look at the picture or not.

My point is, if it's objectionable to post inline pictures why offer the option? Perhaps it bothers you more than others.

/ Linking to Photo at TBN to Display within the post #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Perhaps it bothers you more than others. )</font>

Glenn, I don't know that it bothers him. It sure doesn't bother me NOW, because I have DSL service that's fast enough. But when I started on TBN, I lived out in the country and had dialup service that usually ran at 26.4 kb (sometimes not that fast) and I can tell you that inlline pictures were a problem. There may be occasions when there's a real reason to post one, but just out of courtesy to those members who still have the slower service, most of us refrain from that.

I've dealt with dialup, and still do on occasion. The point is, if it's a problem should the option be offered?

/ Linking to Photo at TBN to Display within the post #9  
<font color="blue">I've dealt with dialup, and still do on occasion. The point is, if it's a problem should the option be offered?
</font>
On a continual basis, the posting of inline photos seems to be an issue with only one moderator... and with one member who corrects everyone's posts.

Maybe some general guidelines for inline photos (file size, width, etc) need to be added to the FAQ? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
If everyone was aware of the general limitations of inline photos, it may help the issue.

Thanks!

As a sidenote to Ibrahim, thanks for getting TBN back up...
It's a great place to come and learn. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Linking to Photo at TBN to Display within the post #10  
It may be something we remove.

I don't think you realize it, Glenn, but you seem a little defensive about it. I don't believe anyone was trying to start any sort of trouble in this thread. We keep inline images because often times little images can be used to enhance a post. The trouble comes when people misuse them and link to very large files that distort the forum formatting, or large file sizes that can take a while to download.

Like many things in life, it's a feature that can be a benefit when used correctly and can also cause a bit of a headache and inconvienence when not. So rather than just remove the feature, we try to educate our members about the best way to use them.

-Ibrahim