Pictures, Pictures

/ Pictures, Pictures #1  

ddl

Gold Member
Tractor
B2400 Kubota
I enjoy the pictures that members post, but what I do not like is when someone post a picture, someone else takes the picture and inserts in the message so we see it again. Why do they do this? Ever time I see this, it appears to me that they are saying, I can do some thing that you can not. I would perfer that no one post pictures with the message. If I am interested, I can click on the picture and see it, if not, it does not slow down loading the messages. It is getting terrible for when they put the picture in the message, they just dlow everything down. Being able to insert pictures doesn't show your abilities, it just shows that person has more time on his hands then others. Please go back to posting pictures only as attachments or at least don't allow others to remove the or change the attachment to an insertment.

Dan L

/ Pictures, Pictures #2  
I think the people that change an attachment to an inline pic are actually trying to be helpful. I doubt it is to show off, but I could be wrong/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. Those of us that are spoiled with high-speed internet connections like the inline pictures because it makes browsing quicker, but I sympathize with people that are on a dial up line and need to see pictures in line when they would rather not be slowed down/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

I think Mohammad has asked that people stop posting inline pictures in response to someone else putting it in as an attachment, for just that reason.

/ Pictures, Pictures #3  
Actually I believe Mohammad asked to limit the width of pictures posted inline to 500 pixels so as not to ruin the formatting of the tables that the messages are displayed in.

I also do not think that posting inline pictures means <font color=blue>"showing off"</font color=blue>, and it surely doesn't mean <font color=blue>"I can do some thing that you can not"</font color=blue> for the instructions for doing this, along with doing other HTML tags are located in the FAQ section.

Regards,
Dave "Gatorboy" Hoffmann
Fallston, Maryland
sm-gatorhead.gif

/ Pictures, Pictures #4  
Ultimately, what we hope to have is a display preference to view attachments with the messages, or without... at that point we may turn off the image tag option since it would be an all or none type of thing that you would set in your profile. We might be able to work something out to convert the image tag to a url tag based on your preferences. Also, if we have an option to display images that are attached with the posts, we'll probably have to build in a width limiter/converter since our absolute maximum width before stretching tables is 600 pixels, and a lot of attachments are wider than that.

msig.gif

/ Pictures, Pictures #5  
Hmmmmm. Muhammad has already replied, but I'll quote him from his recent post anyway. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

<font color=blue>- Images over 500 pixels wide may not be inserted into posts using the [image] markup tag. They may only be attached.

- If a poster attaches an image but does not place it in their post with the [image] tag, please do not reply with the image placed in your post.</font color=blue>

I don't think anybody is trying to steal the show, but since it's easy to overlook the effect inline picts have on people who are stuck with slow connections, we're probably just talking about a little forum etiquette. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Personally, I eat with my elbows on the table. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Pictures, Pictures #6  
Re: Pictures, Pictures & forum etiquette...

<font color=blue>…it's easy to overlook the effect inline picts have on people who are stuck with slow connections, we're probably just talking about a little forum etiquette…</font color=blue>

Yes, I agree… I am probably the most guilty party of all…, after seeing some comments/complaints from some members in different posts, I realized I was causing some of the problems…if not most…/w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Muhammad then stepped in, issued some updated posting guidelines and hopefully most of those problems will be behind us…

And it really does boil down to a little forum etiquette…, that has made this web-site stand head and shoulders above the rest. Perhaps, Muhammad can post at the top of the screen periodically reminders of posting rules… inserted between ad gif runs… kinda like a subliminal message… /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

<font color=blue>…Personally, I eat with my elbows on the table…</font color=blue>

Now to some real serious stuff… Harv, do you holler at the kids for doing it?…/w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Pictures, Pictures #7  

John and Harv,

When you're done hollering at the kids and they rebuke you by saying "but, YOU do it dad!!", parents have the option of hollering back "That's different!". /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Terry

/ Pictures, Pictures #8  

<font color=blue>do you holler at the kids for doing it?</font color=blue>

Actually, John, I learned early on that hollering never produced the results I wanted, so I've taken to more devious tactics. Looking hurt and telling them quietly how disappointed I am seems to be my most effective weapon right now. They'll figure that one out soon enough, then it's back to the arsenal for something new. Hmmmm... never thought of childraising as a war, but then.... /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

As for elbows on the table, my kids simply don't do it. Go figure. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Pictures, Pictures #9  
Dan,

Guilty as charged. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif However, in my weak defense, I must say that I only did it a couple of times, and then only in the "Photos" forum. I figured that if you're reading the Photos forum, you probably want to see the Photos. But I could be wrong.

I also must say that I have probably got one of the slowest connections around. I get about 24Kbps on a good day (going downhill with a tailwind. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

When I don't want to look at the pictures, I just tap the <Esc> key, and it will stop any download in progress (whether you have the pictures or not). If you do want to see the pictures, just hit the refresh button.

I wasn't trying to show off. Honest. I was just trying to be helpfull for a new member that was posting a bunch of pictures of new products.

The GlueGuy

/ Pictures, Pictures #10  

John & glue guy, You are both forgiven! Both should step back and take a bow for being so helpful on TBN!

6-27459-jimsford.gif
jim