Funny thing happened on the way to a post...

/ Funny thing happened on the way to a post... #1  

TerryinMD

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 4100 HST
Muhammad,

When you do something silly like the following -

W E L C O M E B A C K /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

The spaces (4 of them entered) are compressed into one!!

Hello - is this a CGI feature?? In the edit some more frame, the spaces appear.... funky!!

Terry

/ Funny thing happened on the way to a post... #2  
It's just HTML ... it views anything more than one blank space as one. To get more, you need to use a hard space (nbsp;), but we don't allow HTML to be used in posts. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

msig2.gif

/ Funny thing happened on the way to a post... #3  
Terry -

If you're desperate for runs of space characters, you can use the "pre" tags:

<font color=red><pre> H A P P Y H O L I D A Y S !!!</pre>

</font color=red>
It may not give you exactly the results you expect, but at least it's different. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Funny thing happened on the way to a post... #4  
Yeah, if it's important. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

msig2.gif

/ Funny thing happened on the way to a post...
Muhammad and Harv,

Thanks for the responses. Should have figured that it was HTML!

Harv, never heard of "Pre" tags??? What be they?

Terry

/ Funny thing happened on the way to a post... #6  
It's right there in the FAQ section, Terry, along with a bunch of other stuff that people don't seem to know about (Muhammad -- if I ever want to hide information on my own website, I'll just put it in a FAQ page /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif).

No reflection on you, Terry, 'cuz the [pre] tag is little known and seldom used. It's short for "preformatted", and tells your browser to not mess with your linebreaks and spaces. It's intended to allow custom indenting and maybe columnizing, as you might want for a table.

What I notice on TBN is that there is some conflict between that kind of formatting and the "skins" Muhammad has provided. At least on my setup, the style sheets force a non-monospaced font inside the preformatted block, so the spacing is still goofy. At least I think that's what's going on. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Like I said, "seldom used". /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Funny thing happened on the way to a post...
Harv,

Gotcha... one of those seldom used features.

Thank you for explanation. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Terry

/ Funny thing happened on the way to a post... #8  
Screen shot of the odd font? Oh yeah, and the browser you're trying to use with it, too. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif You have verdana installed, right?

msig2.gif

/ Funny thing happened on the way to a post... #9  
<font color=blue>You have verdana installed, right?</font color=blue>

Well, yes, but that's not a monospaced font in the world of Macintosh. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif Courier and Monaco are the monospaced standards over here on the dark side. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

I can think of a number of solutions, but I'm not sure how bad you want to solve this particular issue anyway. Some screen shots are attached, but I would take no offense if you moved on to more important matters. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

HarvSig.gif

Attachments

• 18-87683-PreTags.gif
    18-87683-PreTags.gif
    23.1 KB · Views: 77
   / Funny thing happened on the way to a post... #10  
I could make a courier font style sheet... for Mac users.

msig2.gif