Auto log out timer?

/ Auto log out timer? #1  

George2615

Tractor
LS XR3037HC
Question: Is there an automatic timer that logs you off if no response is sensed? I keep getting logged off when I am typing my response to a question. (I'm a slow 2 finger typer) By the time I've typed my response then click to submit I get a message that says I'm not logged in. So I relog in and everything I just typed is gone and I have to start over again. If there is such a timer, please extend the time limit for us slower typing people. If no timer exists perhaps someone could inform me how to stay logged on while typing a response.
Thanks, George

/ Auto log out timer? #2  
Your logging out is probably from your ISP, not the TBN site. I know I have reviwed posts, left messages and then gone and ate a sandwich in the kitchen. When I come back, I am still logged in OK. That could be 15 minutes or more.

/ Auto log out timer? #3  
I have been getting logged out on this new software when I reload the screen to up-date the threads I have read. BTW I don't have an ISP I have DSL.:confused:

/ Auto log out timer? #4  
Good point. I have DSL too and seldom if ever get logged out of TBN or any other site except my employers VPN. It bumps you after 15 minutes of no activity.

George 2615: what type of connection do you use?

/ Auto log out timer? #5  
Iowachild said:
I have been getting logged out on this new software when I reload the screen to up-date the threads I have read. BTW I don't have an ISP I have DSL.:confused:

ISP stands for Internet Service Provider... so whoever provides your internet access, be it dial-up, DSL, ISDN, cable or satellite, is your ISP.

I would check your settings to see if something is set to not retain cookies or something like that. The cookie is what keeps your login information in your temp folder.

/ Auto log out timer? #6  
MossRoad said:
ISP stands for Internet Service Provider... so whoever provides your internet access, be it dial-up, DSL, ISDN, cable or satellite, is your ISP.

I would check your settings to see if something is set to not retain cookies or something like that. The cookie is what keeps your login information in your temp folder.
OK I misstated what I meant. My point is with DSL you are always connected unless you disconnect. Dial up ISP's will bump you out because several connections are sharing an IP address. With DSL you have your own IP address that never changes. It's part of the modem.

/ Auto log out timer?
I have a cable connection. (RoadRunner) Never had the problem before new board. At least not that I recall. So far it only does logs me off when I'm trying to reply to a post. After typing my response then I either click to preview or click to submit. It seems that if I type a quick response and submit I don't have a problem. If I am typing a long response by the time I'm done and click to submit TBN says I'm not logged in. I doubt its my ISP, I could be connected 24/7 if I choose to and not get dumped off. I tried switching browser programs such as Netscape, Yahoo, Msn, etc. without any change. I thought this site may have an auto log out if no activity detected after say 10 or 15 min. It could be a firewall or cookie setting. I don't know too much about them only what the standard settings are. I'm using windows XP with auto update, and have accept all cookies from this site turned on.

/ Auto log out timer? #8  
George2615,

You are not the only one. I am using the same computer and ISP now that I had before the TBN upgrade. Before the upgrade I don't recall getting logged off. Like you stated, I am now logged off frequently while typing a reply. I now copy my replies before I attempt to post them in case I am logged off before they are sent. FWIW, I make my living with computers. Work mostly from home and have multiple VPNs up all day long. I have not noticed any differences in other websites I log into.

dsb

/ Auto log out timer? #9  
I had the same problem so when I log in I always check the "remember me" box and can stay logged on for hours at a time.

Mike

/ Auto log out timer? #10  
This has been happening to me as well- it seems to be solved by clicking on the "remember me" button when logging in (places a permanent cookie). I don't mind having the cookie at home, but at work I usually choose not to remember me.