Problems loading threads with lots of comments??

/ Problems loading threads with lots of comments?? #1  

ddl

Gold Member
Tractor
B2400 Kubota
Everytime I try to open a thread with mybe 20 replies it hangs up and the banners will not even load. What could be the problem?

Dan L

/ Problems loading threads with lots of comments?? #2  
What's your browser, connection speed, operating system, etc?

/ Problems loading threads with lots of comments??
Netscape, 50K plus for speed. This morning it worked on the long threads. I think the main problem is when someone inserts a picture in the message instead of attaching the picture. Wish that was not allowed.

Dan L
PS tried it on IE and had same problems.

/ Problems loading threads with lots of comments?? #4  
Not sure about Netscape, but in IE, under Tools | Internet Options... | Advanced there is an option under Multimedia that says Show Image Download Placeholders. I believe if you check that, then the image placeholders (borders) will be drawn along with all of the text first. This way you should be able to read the text, without having to wait for the image(s) to be downloaded first.

/ Problems loading threads with lots of comments?? #5  
Dan -

I use Netscape also, and I admit I've seen more pages that need to be reloaded multiple times before it succeeds. But I know that Netscape has a gawdawful way of loading pages one object at a time. It opens and closes its server connection for each one, and if any one of these "mini-sessions" fails for whatever reason, the browser may never get around to rendering the whole page. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

If all of the information comes off the same server (and near as I can tell it does), it's hard to say why it's happening more now than it was before. I've been taking a close look at pages that hang, and I haven't seen any correlation between the hanging phenomenon and foreign (non-TBN) images, like some signatures, or anything else that I can put my finger on.

At any rate, I doubt there's anything faulty at the TBN end, since all pages will eventually load if you keep retrying.
crazy.gif

/ Problems loading threads with lots of comments?? #6  
Okay, I just had a new observation which may render my previous one useless (like so many of my posts
wink.gif
).

I just hit another hanging page, so I let it spin its wheels for what should have been "long enough" and then I hit the Stop button and looked the source. It turns out the entire page had been downloaded, but it was busy doing something (I think running some javascript) which was preventing rendering from taking place.

Now I can't figure what script might work sometimes and not others. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

Netscape is an adventure all its own.

/ Problems loading threads with lots of comments??
Re: Problems loading threads with lots of comments

I think it has to do with the banners loading used on the pages for adver. and such. I also think the new feature of loading the page at the new replies, is holding up loading, esp. if the thread has lots of relies, such as over 20.

If every one who designed web pages or installed networks had the oldest and slowest equipment when they design or set up the network and get to work on that, it would work like a charm on the new and faster machines. Oh Well.

Dan L

/ Problems loading threads with lots of comments?? #8  
I have the same problem. In addition to everything moving slower in general on the new TBN site, I many times have to reload a page more than once to actually view the page. I run Netscape 4.76 on a PowerMac G3 with a Global Village 56K modem. As has been previously indicated, I believe Netscape is the primary culprit in this regard.

Don

/ Problems loading threads with lots of comments?? #9  

<font color=blue>I think it has to do with the banners loading</font color=blue>

That was one of my first thoughts, but I convinced myself that that was not the problem I've been seeing. For one thing, on many of the hanging pages I examined, the banners were coming off the same server that all of the other picts reside on, and even the animated banners consist of surprisingly small files.

I'm using DSL, and TBN seems to be plenty responsive. Near as I can tell, the downloads are happening quickly enough (don't always believe the status bar when it says it's still downloading), but something happens afterwards that throws Netscape into a tizzy before it can fully draw the page.

You wouldn't believe the number of simple things that can confuse Netscape, but whatever it is this time, it eventually works if you keep retrying. That's what puzzles me.

Then again, you wouldn't believe the number of things that can confuse Harv ...
crazy.gif

/ Problems loading threads with lots of comments?? #10  

I have threatened it before, but I think I need to make a switch from Netscape to IE before too long, as I have noticed other (and similar) problems with different sites as well. It's really getting old.

Don