Why Don't My Posts Have Paragraphs?

/ Why Don't My Posts Have Paragraphs? #1  

glennmac

Veteran Member
Tractor
2003 Kubota L3430
Why Don\'t My Posts Have Paragraphs?

When I write a post I create paragraphs by double spacing, as I do in all text programs.The paragraphs show up in the preview box, but in the final post all the sentences are run together in one paragraph. What gives? I see other happy paragraphinators here.I have double-spaced between every sentence in this post, so let's see what happens.

/ Why Don't My Posts Have Paragraphs?
Re: Why Don\'t My Posts Have Paragraphs?

Again. All the sentences ran together. This never happens on the Compact Tractor Forum. (Do they still exist?)

/ Why Don't My Posts Have Paragraphs? #3  

Are you talking about two spaces (with your spacebar) or two line breaks (with your enter key)? You have to hit enter for a line break. Two spaces won't do anything.

Sorry, two line breaks with the enter key, which I will now do.Which I have now done. The line break shows up in this text box. I'll enter two more.Did so. They show up in the text box. If they show up in the preview box, I'll send.

If it matters, I'm on a Mac running OS X.

/ Why Don't My Posts Have Paragraphs? #6  

Lemme see if my memory from about 5 years ago is correct. The Mac OS generates a <CR> only when you press <Enter>, while Windows and DOS OS'es produce <CR><LF>. Perhaps that's the reason, Muhammad?

/ Why Don't My Posts Have Paragraphs? #7  

This is always a tad confusing between Macs and other systems, but us Mac folks generally use the return key to generate line breaks. The enter key oft times is reserved for other functions, such as actually "entering", or submitting the text.

I'm pecking away on my Mac right now, using return for paragraphs, while enter does absolutely nothing.

Glenn -- is this a new behavior that just cropped up?

/ Why Don't My Posts Have Paragraphs? #8  

Harv,
I think if you have to many big words in a sentence the computer will apodictically get confused. I typed a return did it work/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif
Al

/ Why Don't My Posts Have Paragraphs? #9  

You could be right, Al. I'm sure there's a tolerance limit on words like "paragraphinator". /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Fortunately, I don't know many big words, so that may make all the difference.

This message, for example, should appear double-spaced.

/ Why Don't My Posts Have Paragraphs? #10  

I have always used the Enter key to create a new paragraph. Let me try.

Glenmac, I still have not received my Gator Mug! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif