Font and Text Copy Weirdness

/ Font and Text Copy Weirdness #1  

glennmac

Veteran Member
Tractor
2003 Kubota L3430
I am having other weird phenomema with my new OSX Mac on the web in addition to my inability to create carriage returns in TBN messages, unless I post the message and then go back and edit it (which I will have to do with this one).

Another weirdness is that sometimes two particular symbols show up in text instead of what would be some normal punctuation mark. One symbol is like a lowercase "i" with a caret (^) over the top of it. The other symbol is like an uppercase O with two dots (like a German umlaut) over it.Both of these phenomena show up frequently in posts by John Miller. I have copied this excerpt from one of his recents posts:

<font color=blue> Subject Re: Coffee [re: Thomas]ReplyÊPosted by John Miller, III (Unregistered)Posted on 01/26/02 06:33 AM

Good Morning Thomas…Thanks for the reminder… this is our coffee brewer for the shop… also one of the “exotic brands” coffee our shop purchased a few years back…One correction is we have the DeLonghi Brewer with cappuccino on the side not espresso… {see how high tech I ain't...?}Thomas… didn’t you post a picture of your John Deere and Kubota coffee cups… or was that someone else…?</font color=blue>

There is one example of the i-caret after the word "brands". There are 8 occasions of the O-umlaut, including one after each "Thomas". I hope these show up in my post.

I see these occasionally in other text I read here or on other websites. I never saw this on my PC.

More weirdness. I used Copy to copy the John Miller quote above from the Coffee thread, which I pasted into this message in blue. But when I continued to the TBN preview box, THE ENTIRE COFFEE THREAD that preceeded John's message was pasted into this message. I could not delete these extraneous messages with my Delete key, but got rid of them with Cut.

Any thoughts from those of you who are exercising the poor judgment to read this thread?

/ Font and Text Copy Weirdness
Now that I look at John's text again, there are i-carets on both sides of "exotic brands" as if they were substituting for quote marks. The O-umlauts look like they are substituting for commas and/or periods. Note that all carriage returns in John's original message were also somehow removed.

/ Font and Text Copy Weirdness #3  
glenmac,

It seems to me that a standad or default setting has either become corrupted, or is inappropriate outside of the default Mac operating environment.

One thing to check is what "alphabet" you are using as the standard. It may have gotten switched "somehow" to another language besides English, a European alphabet perhaps; instead of the Western "English" alphabet. That could cause this kind of substitution behavior. I have no idea how to go after this setting on a Mac, but am sure there is a way.

Since very few people here on TBN use a Mac on TBN, and probably even fewer are updated to OSx, it might be better to go to a Mac-only forum and ask for help with this problem. You, and we, are doing a lot of energetic guessing, but all of us sadly show a probably foolish dedication to what appears to be a factless situation. A Mac expert would probably solve this in a minute or two.

Why not call Mac tech support????

/ Font and Text Copy Weirdness
Bob, my browser does offer different languages, and I tried the 3 that seem to be English language: Western (Latin), Western (Mac) and Western (Windows). No dice. Your suggestions are good. I could call Apple or MS. What I'm hoping to do here get some suggestions as to whether the problem might lie in the TBN software, the operating system or the browser. I'm not experienced enough to associate the symptoms with the programs. The fact that I dont have these problems on other internet forums suggests to me that the glitch is in the TBN software, or some interaction of the TBN software with my browser.

/ Font and Text Copy Weirdness #5  
Glenn,I have two Mac's, one running OS 9 and the other OS 8.6. I and I have the samething happening to me. I figure its just a PC to Mac thing. By the way I get the same effect as you when it comes to paragraphs in post.

/ Font and Text Copy Weirdness #6  
<font color=blue> I figure its just a PC to Mac thing.</font color=blue>

I dunno 'bout that. I'm running Mac OS 8.6 even as we speak, and I haven't experienced any of the phenomena described in this thread. All works equally well with either Netscape or Explorer.

It seems clearer and clearer to me that there is a basic setting somewhere that is simply set wrong. The fact that between Glenn and Von the problems occur with OS 8.6, OS 9 and OS X, leads me to believe that I should be able to reproduce the problem myself, but so far no luck.

I will try more in earnest.
crazy.gif

BTW -- you guys don't happen to have any weird keyboards, do you? Have you checked your control panels for any keyboard configuration options?