Anyone have a clue on a Ford 7710?

/ Anyone have a clue on a Ford 7710? #1  

sandman2234

Tractor
JD2555 and a few Allis Chalmers and now one Kubota
The John Deere tractor I purchased last year, as a replacement for the Ford 1100 is great. However I really, really, really am tired of spending half my seat time running a comealong to get it unstuck. A recent addition to the "for sale" market has caught my attention, but the sale is being handled a little strangely. I can handle the strange, as it is on the selling parties end and have a leg up on some people because I know the guys that have run the tractor. The tractor broke an axle last year and after repairs they kind of shy away from using it, so it has been sitting alot. Should be no problems with the repair, as the mechanics are in a shop and not under a shade tree, and have a reasonable budget to work with.
The tractor has no cab, just a canopy, like my JD 2555. A lot less hours than my Jd also, but older, and run harder/put away wetter.
It has a ditchmower on it, and haven't looked at it yet, so I don't know if it still has the 3pt hitch (going to look later today). The cast iron blade on the ditchmower are worn out, and replacements are probably expensive. I have a hydraulic deck for it, so that isn't a problem if I can't afford the new blades or can't machine them from stock.
What I really need to know, is what is a 7710 worth, either as trade in for a new tractor, or on the wholesale markets. The tractor is a four wheel drive with duals on the rear, but the tires are pretty old, but still hold air. (cracks,wear,etc)That is pretty much what they are going to expect out of it.
Hopefully someone has an idea!
David from jax

/ Anyone have a clue on a Ford 7710?
A picture and some links to more might help?
MVC-004F-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/sandman2234/tractors/MVC-020F-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/sandman2234/tractors/MVC-012F-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/sandman2234/tractors/MVC-017F.jpg
Some leaking around both front axles is noted by the grease/dirt buildup on the rims.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/sandman2234/tractors/MVC-002F-2.jpg
Seat is well weathered, but shouldn't be a problem getting recovered.
The box sitting in front of it is extra blades for the mower!
The tractor wouldn't start, but we expected that since it has been a while since they ran it, and figured the battery would be dead. It uses the really big battery, like a dozer, not the small ones we use in our tractor trailers. I will probably end up building a new battery box so I can use tractor trailer batteries (pair).
The inside tires have dry rot type cracks, but the outside and fronts appear close to new. Fronts looked like they could stand some air pressure in them.
I have more pictures, but didn't want to overload the site.
David from jax

/ Anyone have a clue on a Ford 7710? #3  
Do they have 30" rears on that thing? Look kind of small but they still work. One thing I will tell you is that tires will be pricey so you might want to price replacements for the inners if they look bad and figure that into the total cost of the deal. I paid around $1500 for my back tires on the 7710 last year ($750 for each tire).

The 7710 is a great tractor and around here they sell between $15k and $22k depending on condition, hours, FWA, and cab.

Overall, that tractor you pictured looks clean. I have seen a lot of 7710's that have been beat bad but they still do their job. If the price is right on that tractor and you know its history I would not hesitate to buy it at all.

I should note that my local NH dealer had a 7710 FWA with just over 3k hours on it that they were selling for $22,500. I don't know what the final sale price on it was though. I paid $15k for mine but it is a 2wd cabbed tractor with 5K hours. She has been trouble free and does a great job for what I need. I would have loved to find a FWA, cabbed 7710-II though.

/ Anyone have a clue on a Ford 7710? #4  
Robert_in_NY said:
Do they have 30" rears on that thing? Look kind of small but they still work. One thing I will tell you is that tires will be pricey so you might want to price replacements for the inners if they look bad and figure that into the total cost of the deal. I paid around $1500 for my back tires on the 7710 last year ($750 for each tire).

The 7710 is a great tractor and around here they sell between $15k and $22k depending on condition, hours, FWA, and cab.

Overall, that tractor you pictured looks clean. I have seen a lot of 7710's that have been beat bad but they still do their job. If the price is right on that tractor and you know its history I would not hesitate to buy it at all.

I should note that my local NH dealer had a 7710 FWA with just over 3k hours on it that they were selling for $22,500. I don't know what the final sale price on it was though. I paid $15k for mine but it is a 2wd cabbed tractor with 5K hours. She has been trouble free and does a great job for what I need. I would have loved to find a FWA, cabbed 7710-II though.
Type in Used Tractors at TractorHouse.com: John Deere Tractors, used farm tractors and farm equipment, Case IH, New Holland, Agco, Caterpillar. and select the horse power and model; there should be models for comparison. I believe the models you will see are sold on a consignment basis.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/sandman2234/tractors/MVC-005F-2.jpg

The tires really aren't that bad. They should give a couple years of running if I don't tear them up with something sharp. That can happen to a new tire too!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/sandman2234/tractors/MVC-019F.jpg (glimpse of inside tire)
I mentioned taking them off and running singles, but my friend said not to consider that as long as the ditch mower was still mounted. He said it adds a lot to the stability of the tractor having the duals on it. I will probably get a couple of jobs done that the ditch mower will excell at and then put it up for sale. Most of my jobs are centered around the 3pt hitch.
Since those parts aren't on the tractor, I will be looking for them if I do indeed buy this tractor.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/sandman2234/tractors/MVC-008F-1.jpg
I would be happy with my John Deere 2555 if it was 4x4, but since it isn't, I am looking for something that is.
David from jax
More...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/sandman2234/tractors/MVC-006F-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/sandman2234/tractors/MVC-012F-1.jpg

/ Anyone have a clue on a Ford 7710? #6  
How much are they asking for that tractor?

As for the 3pt parts, you should be able to find them somewhat cheap at a tractor salvage yard. Soundguy might know of some places down near Florida

No price, or I would have my answer. I have to make an offer for it, and they will tell me if my offer is accepted. Kind of a pain to do it that way, since I will probably start low and wait on them to make a counter offer. Sure would be nice if I could just pay what I want and be done with it, but that ain't going to happen. They may decide that it is worth more than I am willing to pay, and if they do, then I will keep digging the John Deere out (lol). Since they are the same owners that I bought my John Deere from, I hope I am right about them taking what amounts to a trade in value.(if I can figure that out)
I just located several tractors on the net that have those lift arm parts, in salvage yards, so those probably won't be a problem.
David from jax

/ Anyone have a clue on a Ford 7710? #8  
What a gorgeous machine. If the cost of repairs won't break the bank (tires, anything else), and the care of it has been good (oil, filters, etc) , go for it. What is parts availability like???
Bob

/ Anyone have a clue on a Ford 7710? #9  
Bob, the 7710 was one of Ford's best tractors. There are a lot of them on farms still as they are only around 20 or so years old now. Ford/NH has a great parts department for the 10 series tractors as well as most of their tractors.

My wife may not like it as much as we do...
She just ordered some more stuff to add to the JD items she has been purchasing that will ultimately become the decor for my computer room. Changing in mid stream to a Blue Ford might be a problem?
It isn't as pretty as the pictures make it seem. It is a working tractor, and used by people that don't own it, and know they never will.
I am still in the process of trying to figure out how to talk the wife into it, if they do accept my low offer.
Wish me luck!
David from jax

Actually I won't be too upset if I don't get it, but will be happy if I do.
David from jax