Engine Cleaning with Kero?

/ Engine Cleaning with Kero? #1  

Temp97

Bronze Member
Had a farmer tell me that he drains his oil, dumps Kerosene into the pan, runs the tractor for a short moment and bingo all the crud is cleaned out. Now I've heard of this before but I don't think I'm willing to try this. Is this theory really true or am I being told a tall story? Is it good for both gas and diesel motors?

/ Engine Cleaning with Kero? #2  
I've heard it to, don't know the answer. Also heard add one quart of some kind of solvent before draining... let it run for a couple minutes, THEN drain it out.

Never tried either...just try to stay on scheduel

/ Engine Cleaning with Kero? #3  
It's been many years since I actually did it, but I think flushing engines out that way used to be fairly common, especially before the days of oil filters and hydraulic valve lifters. I've done it, but when we did it, we put in one quart of motor oil and then 3 or 4 quarts of kerosene, started the engine at idle for no more than 10-15 seconds before shutting it down and draining the kerosene out. In slightly more recent times, but still about 30 years ago, on a couple of cars with sticking valve lifters, I've added two quarts of automatic transmission fluid (ATF) to an engine that already was full of oil, started the engine and let it idle (no reving or driving) for about 5 minutes, then drained it and put in fresh oil. That method was recommended by a professional mechanic in whom I had a lot of confidence, and sure enough, in both cases, it cured the sticking valve lifter problem.

/ Engine Cleaning with Kero? #4  
I would highly recomend NOT DOING THIS! Kerosene has very little lubricity and it's a good way to shorten the life of your engine if not just plain kill it.

If you want to flush out your oil system use a product that is designed for it. I have used Auto RX over the years and had very good success with it. Auto-Rx Engine Cleaner

/ Engine Cleaning with Kero? #5  
If you want to flush out your oil system use a product that is designed for it. I have used Auto RX over the years and had very good success with it. Auto-Rx Engine Cleaner

I'd certainly agree with you about not using kerosene for an engine flush anymore, but I'm not familiar at all wiht the Auto RX. Isn't most ATF still basically a high detergent 10W oil? How does the Auto RX differ?

/ Engine Cleaning with Kero? #6  
From my understanding the Auto RX is basically just a carrier oil with a massive dispersants and detergents additive package. I get the feeling it probably has some seal swelling additives also which will help with oil leaks.

/ Engine Cleaning with Kero? #7  
years ago my brother, who cant hardly change a lightbulb:eek: went to add transmission fluid to his car, he poured in a quart, still none on stick so put in the last 2 quarts he had. reved up the motor and got trans to get int gear. drove to jacksonville and back to see a girl. 400 mile round trip. When he got back he brought me the car to check tranny. Still no fluid on the stick. I started to add some and he asks why I am going at it the hard way and filling through the tube instead of just using the big hole:confused: ;) What big hole I say, That one he says pointing at the OIL fill cap. Pulled the oil stick .... WAY over full. Put it up on the ramps, pulled the oil pan, and there was every bit of sludge from the motor. Put new rod and main bearings in it and ran it for several more years. I dont recomend it, but it will clear all the gunk from the motor. Sorry this was longer than I intended.

/ Engine Cleaning with Kero? #8  
Pulled the oil stick .... WAY over full.

I sure remember something a bit different, but with some smiliarities. When I was teenager and my dad owned a service station, we had the mayor's Olds in for an oil & filter change. We had an employee who wasn't the brightest bulb in the house. Anyway, he came in the office to tell me that he had changed the oil & filter & greased the Olds, but when he let it down off the lift, started it, and put it in reverse, it wouldn't move. So I went to see what the problem was, and found he had drained the transmission, then added 5 quarts of oil to the crankcase. Fortunately, no damage was done, other than the loss of a few quarts of motor oil & ATF.

/ Engine Cleaning with Kero? #9  
I would definately stay away from kerosene for the engine.:eek: :eek:

I do an engine wash with a product they sell at napa auto parts for a few bucks, or amzoil sells the same product too.

A quart in with the old oil, let it*** IDLE ***for 10 min & drain it a good 1/2 hr. into the oil catch pan.

Then I fill it with a synthetic oil of my choice, then im ready to roll:D

Ernie

/ Engine Cleaning with Kero? #10  
I think most diesel engine manufacturers don't allow for more than a 5% fuel dilution of the motor oil,and since Kerosene closely resembles Diesel Fuel, it probably isn't the best idea for a flush.

the real question is " why do you need to flush an engine?"

If it is sludged up, you are better off leaving it alone than loosening up the crud. sometimes that crud is the only thing providing some cushion between the moving parts, and after you remove it and you end up with rod nocks and noisy lifters etc....