Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums

/ Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums #31  
jsborn said:
heymack said:
I can mix my additive just as easily in my 55-gallon drum as I could in a 5-gallon can.
what additives do you mix and why or is that another thread?

I mix in Power Service for the added lubricity and the peace of mind that comes along with it. My neighbor's diesel mechanic and the guys at the New Holland dealership all recommended it after all the suppliers went to ULSD.

/ Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums #32  
I mix in some fuel additive as well, think I have hydrotex right now, but any good quality one would suit me.

Do I NEED it? should not, but the cost is worth the extra piece of mind too me.

I either A. add it too the empty drum before I have the distributor pick it up and refill it, or I B. just add it to the drum and shake some if I recieved a full drum that was not a refill.

/ Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums #33  
heymack said:
...Dargo made it sound like he doesn't have to pump into a 5-gallon can because he has a 275-gallon tank and those who use a 55-gallon drum set-up have to.

Nope. What I said was, and I quote, "It just seems like it takes more time and effort and trouble to haul 55 gallon barrels to get filled, crank the fuel into 5 gallon cans, and then still have to hold the 5 gallon cans up to fill the tractor."

That was in response to earlier statements from posters who mentioned cranking a hand crank in a 55 gallon container into a 5 gallon container to fill their tractor. What I stated was/is my opinion that doing so appears to be more hassle and trouble than it's worth. I see no reason so spend the money, time and effort for such a setup. I also stated that I failed to see any reason to use a 55 gallon container at all if it needed to be hauled around to be filled.

However, in my next post I stated that I was relating such a practice to my particular usage needs. A 55 gallon container wouldn't even fill my tractor up twice. As a matter of fact, a 55 gallon container wouldn't even fill up my tractors once if my mowers needed filled as well. Again, if you read my post, I was only looking at how I use fuel. For me, it would be a complete waste of time, money, effort and resources. For others, it may be helpful with their particular needs. My setup is small beans compared to most of my neighbors who generally have tanks that are over 1000 gallons. They may think my setup is a waste of time and money; which it would be for them. It's a similar situation with my modest setup compared to a 55 gallon container.

Before I put in my little 275 gallon tank, I used 5 high quality steel jerry cans. I say "high quality steel" because the darn plastic ones I had always seemed to leak from the spout when I used them. Since I keep my equipment pretty well spotless, that was a no go for me. Anyway, with one tractor in particular, it's a real pain in the rump to fill with 5 gallon cans since the filler cap is in the center of the hood. Needless to say, my setup with a regular automatic shutoff nozzle works much better for me than the 5 gallon gas cans but, in my situation, I don't think I'd be gaining much if anything if I used a 55 gallon container. Still, I never said that anyone would have to use 5 gallon cans along with a 55 gallon container and a hand crank.

/ Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums #34  
GaryBDavis,

I guess I live less than 10 miles from you. I've been using a 55gal drum on a stand I built. I welded some legs along the long side and a rod opposite the legs to lift it in place. Too bad I don't have a pic for you.

When it's empty, I take it down with my tractor and load it in my truck. When full I unload it the same way and just put it back on the stand.

I assume you're probably using Texcon Oil in Pflugerville. That's where I go. I've got an extra hand crank pump I bought from Harbor Freight you can have. It leaks a little but not bad.

You can call me at the number I'm private messaging you with.

/ Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums #35  
LBrown59 said:
Mine's 100 gallons but only applies to special deliveries.
They will top off my 30 gallon drum whenever they are already in my area delivering to others. There is no minimum quantity required for a top off.
More>
I saw one of the suppliers go by the house yesterday.
They would have stopped and toped off my 30 gallon drum if I'd have let them know ahead of time.

/ Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums #36  
Osconda, hmm... howdy, neighbor... I looked for the phone number/address of the Texcon Oil in Pflugerville, but my net search skills failed me... wonder if you could pass that on...

and drop by for a visit one day.. I'm just a mile off I 35 just outside of Jarrell...

/ Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums #37  
Sorry for the poor quality, somehow I am hitting buttons on my camera and not even sure what I am hitting :(

I need a camera with an ON button, and a Shoot button, but I dont think those are made too much anymore.

Anyway, this is my setup for fueling our little tractor and our backhoe.

Works well for us. I do use a diesel fuel supplement, but currently with the work going on in the house I am turning the fuel fairly quick.

12v electric pump, water block filter unit, spill pallet, run down chicken coop :D (not everyone has ALL the advantages of an old house ;) )

Attachments

• DSCN2405.JPG
    DSCN2405.JPG
    376 KB · Views: 341
   / Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums #38  
GaryBDavis said:
I was wondering about storing my drums inside the shop verses outside underneath the covered shop awning. It seems like there would be less temperature swings inside the shop and therefore less condensation. If it were gasoline, I would definitely store it outside, but I’d like some opinions about storing diesel inside. My shop is partitioned off and I have a good place to keep chemicals, etc.

I can't speak to the methods of distribution and pumping but as far as storage, I would NOT have that much diesel in the shop. Your "partition" actually needs to be a minimum of 2 hour fire rated enclosure and maybe as much as 4 hour depending on building codes. You might not be subject to codes but that doesn't mean it isn't a good idea. Also, what are you doing about containment? Five years from now that drum could spring a leak and you would have diesel all over the shop.

My suggestion, which migh be overkill, is to build a little shed or hut out of concrete block that is +/- 6x6' inside, with a roof and slab. Get a hollow metal door made so that there is a high sill, which will catch big spills. Then you can keep your other chemicals in there as well.

Of course, doing that pretty much negates any savings you get from buying fuel in bulk. Which is why nobody I know does it.

/ Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums #39  
HappyCPE said:
I would NOT have that much diesel in the shop.
My suggestion, which migh be overkill, is to build a little shed or hut out of concrete block that is +/- 6x6' inside, with a roof and slab.
My Set up

This set up is

in here.