Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums

/ Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums #1  

GaryBDavis

Gold Member
Okay, I’m finally getting my act together on the off-road diesel fuel. I’ve found two local off-road bulk suppliers and I’m off to get my permit from the nearest taxpayer office.

After evaluating the 500 gal tank, my annual usage, etc, I’ve decided to go with 55 gallon drums. From what I understand from talking to the bulk fuel distributor, you can transport two 55 gallon drums of diesel at a time without any DOT issues. Anything over that and the containers have to be DOT combustible approved. A 100 gallon tank meeting that spec is around $500 new from what I could find. The bulk fuel supplier sells 55 gallon drums (cleaned out and fuel ready) for $20.

I was wondering about storing my drums inside the shop verses outside underneath the covered shop awning. It seems like there would be less temperature swings inside the shop and therefore less condensation. If it were gasoline, I would definitely store it outside, but I’d like some opinions about storing diesel inside. My shop is partitioned off and I have a good place to keep chemicals, etc. I expect to go through a barrel every two to six months.

This is the pump I’m planning to purchase.
Lincoln Lubrication 1335 Professional Series Lever Action Fluid Pump Order# LNC1335 www.TheToolWarehouse.Net
I don’t want anything fancy, but a good brand/quality hand pump. I was also wondering if I need to install a filter on it.

As for transporting the drums and off loading them, I’m planning on making a custom steel pallet frame will rails to hold the drums in place. Maybe some strap tie points to hold things down in the back of the truck. I’ll use the pallet forks to load and unload the drums in the truck. I’ll use the pallet jack to move them around in the shop.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

/ Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums #2  
I got a harbor freight hand crank pump for 55 gal drum. Warning.... look for a way to attach a hose to the pump... mine is just smooth pipe... so no threads... thus attaching a rubber hose with clamp turns out to be a drippy situaiton. :(Also, the pump is just drippy at several locations... can live with it... not so bad I'm throwing it away... but I'd look more carefully at construction quality before purchasing the next time.

/ Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums
Hey John, I guess I should have notice that setup when I came by your place the other day. Where do you get your fuel, Granger or Killeen?

/ Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums #4  
I've had my barrels of diesel fuel for more than a year now and have filled and emptied them several times. The first barrel that I used paid for all of the investments of money and the convenience was immensely appreciated. My last barrel full was 54 cents cheaper than the cheapest on-road diesel per gallon so easily 20 bucks in my pocket.

I bought an 11$ rotary cast iron hand pump from harbor freight. It leaked a couple drops at first but not anymore. It has a smooth spigot that I slipped clear PVC tubing over and clamped firmly in place. 12' tube from HD and a barb to thread iron fitting at the "nozzle" end cost about 10$ more.

My truck has a canopy on top and I have a hard time moving full barrels so I actually lay the barrels over on their side and strap them to a wooden pallet with plain old nylon straps. It works really well. Be sure to put the large bung hole at 12 o'clock. I fill the barrel on its side with 40 or so gallons so that it is not too heavy and so that the fuel doesn't slop back out the bung.

Get home and roll the barrel over the tailgate and into the tractor's bucket. Then dump indoors in a convenient location. I use the barrel to fill jerry cans which I use to fuel the tractor. If I fill directly I don't know how full it is getting until it overflows and I like to top off my tractor each day to limit condensation.

No filter on the fuel station. Just the tractor's filter.

Off road diesel is very very red. It's like blood.

/ Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums #5  
I use a 55 gallon drum set up as well. Originally I wanted to keep the cost down so I bought one of those $25 Northern Tool Chinese made pumps with a smooth neck, but I wanted to add an inline filtering system. Unfortunately, the pump threads were nonstandard so I couldn't install the elbows and piping needed for the filter. Hence I opted for a much better Tuthill transfer pump (FR152).

To get the full barrel out of my truck, I use my backhoe with one of these drum lifts. Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

/ Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums #6  
heymack said:
I use a 55 gallon drum set up as well. Originally I wanted to keep the cost down so I bought one of those $25 Northern Tool Chinese made pumps with a smooth neck, but I wanted to add an inline filtering system. Unfortunately, the pump threads were nonstandard so I couldn't install the elbows and piping needed for the filter. Hence I opted for a much better
1* Tuthill transfer pump (FR152).

To get the full barrel out of my truck, I use my backhoe with one of these drum lifts.
2*Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
1*The SNAG with these is THE HIGH PRICE
2*Why are you hauling it?

/ Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums #7  
GaryBDavis said:
Okay, I’m finally getting my act together on the off-road diesel fuel. I’ve found two local off-road bulk suppliers and I’m off to get my permit from the nearest taxpayer office.

After evaluating the 500 gal tank, my annual usage, etc, I’ve decided to go with 55 gallon drums. From what I understand from talking to the bulk fuel distributor, you can transport two 55 gallon drums of diesel at a time without any DOT issues. Anything over that and the containers have to be DOT combustible approved. A 100 gallon tank meeting that spec is around $500 new from what I could find. The bulk fuel supplier sells 55 gallon drums (cleaned out and fuel ready) for $20.

I was wondering about storing my drums inside the shop verses outside underneath the covered shop awning. It seems like there would be less temperature swings inside the shop and therefore less condensation. If it were gasoline, I would definitely store it outside, but I’d like some opinions about storing diesel inside. My shop is partitioned off and I have a good place to keep chemicals, etc. I expect to go through a barrel every two to six months.

This is the pump I’m planning to purchase.
Lincoln Lubrication 1335 Professional Series Lever Action Fluid Pump Order#*LNC1335 www.TheToolWarehouse.Net
I don’t want anything fancy, but a good brand/quality hand pump. I was also wondering if I need to install a filter on it.

As for transporting the drums and off loading them, I’m planning on making a custom steel pallet frame will rails to hold the drums in place. Maybe some strap tie points to hold things down in the back of the truck. I’ll use the pallet forks to load and unload the drums in the truck. I’ll use the pallet jack to move them around in the shop.

Thanks!
Why in the world would you need a permit?
Why transport them?
Would you dump 110 gallons of diesel on your house or shop if it was on fire?

/ Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums #8  
Gary, well, er... I asked around and only located a supplier on the other side of Taylor... kinda far...so been buying the expensive stuff:eek:

If you would be so kind as to PM me the suppliers phone numbers you have located, would be appreciated...

Also, your info re transportation limits is a bummer... I've got two barrels and am near the bottom of the last barrel.... idealy, we could join forces, go get 4 barrels at once and keep transport cost down...

My barrels are in the pump house... we didn't get there when you were here... gotta save something for your next visit:)

/ Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums #9  
GaryBDavis said:

Thanks!

You might check with the local fire department and ask them a few hypothetical questions regarding the storage of 55-gallon drums of diesel inside a shop. Ask yourself how much time and money you have invested in your shop and whether insurance will cover a fire or other accident. It may be worthwhile to look into the storage products capable of collecting a drum's worth of fuel. These cabinets, etc aren't cheap; but that is why I suggest you evaluate the risk/loss factors before spending $$$ on a storage system that may not work as well as you had hoped.

Is the shop close to the house? You can bet the wife might be nervous about diesel being stored near the home; I know mine would be.

I hope you let us know what your solution is as I am tired of doing the 5-gallon Jerry-can shuffle to fill my rig's 10-gallon tank.

/ Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums #10  
LBrown59 said:
1*The SNAG with these is THE HIGH PRICE
2*Why are you hauling it?

1. I only paid around $100 for this particular pump and think its quality is well worth the price paid.

2. I have to haul the drum from the distributor's terminal to my house. Then I needed a way to get the drum out of my truck. Hence the drum lift.