What will an Hydraulic filter filter?

/ What will an Hydraulic filter filter? #1  

hbaird

Silver Member
Tractor
Jinma JM200LE
I just added a Northern Item 4021 filter to my return line. All I know about is it is a "10 micron" filter. I expect it to catch solids bigger than 10 microns. Is it likely to catch water or anything else.
Harold

/ What will an Hydraulic filter filter? #2  
Is it an 'absolute' filter? If not.. don't expect it to catch 'all' things larger than 10 micron.. etc.

Some filters will grab water.. if it doesn't state it will.. I wouldn't bet onit.. etc..

Soundguy

/ What will an Hydraulic filter filter?
Soundguy what kind of things bigger than 10 microns would you expect it not to catch.
Harold

/ What will an Hydraulic filter filter? #4  
I added the exact same filter to my L245Dt. I've got about 40 hours on it, as soon as it reads 50 hours (Sept.) I'll take it off for a replacement. I was going to take the old one apart to see just what it was filtering. I'll post something when I do.

/ What will an Hydraulic filter filter? #5  
hbaird said:
Soundguy what kind of things bigger than 10 microns would you expect it not to catch.
Harold

While not soundguy, I may be able to expand on this a bit.

There are several types of filtration, with varying names etc.

Absolute filtration, picture a screen door in your mind with holes the size of what you want to filter, is rarely used (in general applications) it will "blind off" or plug too quickly, Think of a big cloud of ragweed going at that screen door, it would not take but a second and it would be blocked off and nothing would pass.

Most filtration, commonly encountered is "tortueous Path" sp which basicly is something akin to a gauze, or like an AC inlet filter in your home. It is not truly a "screen" but in general becuse the filtered material has to bend and go this way and that to get through, it picks up smaller pieces. This is also sometimes referred to as "depth" filtration, so while things bigger then say your 10 microns can pass on through, most (usually expressed as a percentage in the fine print) will be caught or captured.

When buying commercial filtration, you often spec the nominal ratings in both size and percentage or efficiency. So usually, when you are buying something like a sock filter etc. it will be a 10 micron 90% etc.

As a more direct answer to your question, something longer and thinner, IE a splinter, if it hits the filter in the right orientation can sometimes pass through, where if it hits sideways, it will not pass. Also if it hits the area's of the filter where the weave / paper / whatever the media is, is less dense, it may pass through, where if it had hit the other side, it would not.

/ What will an Hydraulic filter filter?
Thanks for your explanation. As usual I did not think it thru. I also have a fairly close weave bronze wire screen in the tank, on the suction line, to pick up the really big stuff. Jinma hydraulics seem to work OK with very poor fluid but add ons need clean fluid.
Harold