Deisel Fuel in storage

/ Deisel Fuel in storage #1  

Monstertorque

I have about thirty gallons of deisel fuel stored in a plastic drum and have been using from this supply for a while. The deisel is about 1 1/2 years old. When I tried to refuel my Mitsubishi tractor recently the removeable strainer in the top of the tank kept plugging up with what appeared to be a waxy type material. I assume that this build-up is the parafin that is separating from the fuel. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might reconstitute this fuel so I can use it? In other words, is there some way to get the parafin back into suspension? Any help would be appreciated cause I would sure hate to have to throw away thirty gallons of fuel.

/ Deisel Fuel in storage #2  
There are several products out there, but less then 55 gallons of diesel fuel over 1.5 years old, are you sure you are doing the right thing?

At my place, that would be called "fire Starter"

But anyway, that was not the question you asked.

Power Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boost cetane, reduce emissions, improve fuel economy has lots of products, but to effectively put them into play, you need to be aware of exactly the problems you are facing, which I doubt is a parrafin problem.

If it was mine, I would seriously reconsider if less than $100 worth of diesel would be worth the potential hassle of using it, plugging filters or worse.

Right now, I am working on a 50,000 gallon tank with about 32000 gallons in it, NOW THAT makes me think of ways to use it :)

/ Deisel Fuel in storage #3  
AlanB said:
Right now, I am working on a 50,000 gallon tank with about 32000 gallons in it, NOW THAT makes me think of ways to use it :)
Wow, by the time I go thru that much Diesel, my own remains will have decomposed into oil shale....

/ Deisel Fuel in storage #4  
I doubt it's wax, that is what happens in the winter. It is more likely bacterial growth. Try giving the fuel a good shock treatment of bacteriacide to kill it off and then if you can pre filter it before you use.

/ Deisel Fuel in storage #5  
madpogue said:
Wow, by the time I go thru that much Diesel, my own remains will have decomposed into oil shale....

Unfortunately, nothing but the "problem" belongs to me. :D

/ Deisel Fuel in storage #6  
So how long does deisel typically last in a drum? I guess there are a lot of variables though right. Temperature being one I guess.

/ Deisel Fuel in storage #7  
Temp, humidity, level of sealing, additives, initial contamination, amount of air and air admittance in the tank / drum and a slew of other things all play a part.

Depending on who you are speaking with, but we use a year before we start re-testing analyzing etc. etc. for something like a tractor.

The fuels are usually done as a summer and winter as well, so some folks will say 6 months at the longest.

The biggest killer is moisture, and in good systems, that usually revolves around condensate.

In the drum scenario, it would revolve around, is the drum full? Is it truly sealed? Is it just finger tight, and the seal seaks a little and it is sitting out in the open without a drum cover on it and the water from the last rain shower is standing on the top of the drum slowly seeping into it. :(

/ Deisel Fuel in storage #8  
not saying this is the right thing to do but I've seen a diesel powered vehicle sit for 5 years without running, put a set of batteries in it and it fires right up.

so you can infer the fuel doesn't deteriorate very quickly, condensation and bacterial growth notwithstanding.

your situation is probably why I dont fill a fuel barrel and keep it laying around.

I might go thru 5 gallons a month if I use the tractor and bobcat.

/ Deisel Fuel in storage #9  
I try to store only enough diesel for a 3 or 4 month period. I got a 30 gal plastic barrel and a rotary pump dispenser. That's about what I use in that time. I always put Power Service in it too. I'm sure it would last a lot longer than that when treated, but I feel good about 3 or 4 month storage time.

I like the idea of siphoning it (yours) through a filtering element and then adding Power Service to the clean stuff.

/ Deisel Fuel in storage #10  
Monstertorque said:
In other words, is there some way to get the parafin back into suspension? Any help would be appreciated cause I would sure hate to have to throw away thirty gallons of fuel.

Suspension? How about soloution....

If you have stuff suspended in that diesel.. I'd either super filter it or find a use other than in a diesel engine..e tc.

Soundguy