Castrol GTX Diesel or Tection Extra

/ Castrol GTX Diesel or Tection Extra #1  

UncleBuck01

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4110
Figure I run this by you Oil guys:

Nearby Chain, Auto Supply ( PEP BOYS ) runs weekly sale on oil, usually 5 quarts for .99 after mail in rebate. I pass this store at least once a week so stopping for they're oil sale does not take me out of my way and the wife handles the rebate ( too complicated for me :rolleyes: ), this week they had Castrol GTX Diesel as part of they're sale, on bottle it says "For Cars and Pick-ups with Diesel Engines" NO mention about tractors, but does say for larger diesel engines, we recommend Castrol Tection Extra. I have a Mahindra 4110, 41hp, DaeDong diesel engine ( definitely not a Large Diesel Engine )
API Service is CI-4, CH-4,CG-4, CF/SL, SJ on bottle.
So, can I use Castrol GTX Diesel in my tractor ????

/ Castrol GTX Diesel or Tection Extra #2  
Well CI-4 was what Shell Rotella had up until recently, I believe, and that is a classic tractor diesel oil.

Mike

/ Castrol GTX Diesel or Tection Extra #3  
I would probably go with the Tection Extra over the GTX Diesel oil. The Tection Extra most likely has a more robust additive package designed for heavy duty diesel engines.

/ Castrol GTX Diesel or Tection Extra #4  
There's probably not that much different in the oils, just a standard marketing trick to generate some sales. I use plain old dino oil in mine. I just change it regularly.

I have a 4x4 truck and I run standard oil not the special truck 4x4 oil.