Is Amsoil API certified?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Is Amsoil API certified? #31  
Georgia Boy,I can't read all of that . I'm from the south :p

Why don't we all just start using Castrol ??:confused: It's more than just a motor oil :rolleyes:

Ya know,

It's liquid engineering:eek:

/ Is Amsoil API certified? #33  
Kenmac I am a believer in castrol.

/ Is Amsoil API certified? #34  
You're not the only one

they ( castrol ) sell alot of oil I mean @#$%^&

do they ( castrol) even know about group 4- 5 oils ??

Aren't they the ones that do the hydrocracking thing with oil ??

/ Is Amsoil API certified? #35  
Not only is it good but the price is average and
if they sell oil they sell castrol. Easy to find.

/ Is Amsoil API certified? #36  
Now, I know it's not API certified ,but I think I'll stick with Amsoil. I like the numbers

/ Is Amsoil API certified?
kenmac said:
You're not the only one

they ( castrol ) sell alot of oil I mean @#$%^&

do they ( castrol) even know about group 4- 5 oils ??

Aren't they the ones that do the hydrocracking thing with oil ??
There are several brands that are hydrocracked and hydrotreated. Some are severly hydrocracked and treated and some are moderatley hydrocracked and treated, etc. Some basestocks are so severly hydrocracked and hydrotreated that their basestocks are pharmaceutically pure. I have seen a demonstration where a pharmaceutically pure basestock was added to a lobster tank, and then the next evening the lobsters were taken out, boiled, and eaten.

/ Is Amsoil API certified? #38  
DieselPower said:
Here you go, an API licensed oil that is performing quite superbly in a short haul FLD 120 road tractor. And by the way, this diesel engine gets on average 6.5 MPG pulling a loaded logging trailer 6 days a week through the mountains. Let's see a gas engine that can do that.

And by the way, the little API logo has nothing to do with Chinamart as you put it.

UOA1.jpg

I can't comment on the wear numbers here since I'm not at all familiar with UOA's from heavy duty diesels. But I will say that oil seems to have very healthy additive package. It even has some moly which is somewhat rare in an HDMO. And the air filtration is great on that engine. People with cars would love to see those silicon numbers over that interval.

Not related to your post DP, but to address the API argument that this thread has become -

I don't see the reason for the dispute. It's pretty simple really. Selecting an oil that's API certified to the spec recommended by your engine manufacturer will pretty much guarantee you a suitable lubricant.

Will some oils just barely meet the spec. and others surpass it substantially? Sure. Will some non API oils show better results that the recommend API certified oil? Of course it's possible. It's also possible to choose one that really doesn't work well in a given application, or is just an inferior product.

So the API certification is somewhat "oil for dummies" though I don't mean that in a bad way. It's great way to make sure your lubricant meets a suitable minimum standard. Other oils, API and non API may show much better performance in a given application. But the API spec will at least give you a minimum performance level and keep your engine warranty in tact...

/ Is Amsoil API certified?
JSharp said:
I can't comment on the wear numbers here since I'm not at all familiar with UOA's from heavy duty diesels. But I will say that oil seems to have very healthy additive package. It even has some moly which is somewhat rare in an HDMO. And the air filtration is great on that engine. People with cars would love to see those silicon numbers over that interval.

Not related to your post DP, but to address the API argument that this thread has become -

I don't see the reason for the dispute. It's pretty simple really. Selecting an oil that's API certified to the spec recommended by your engine manufacturer will pretty much guarantee you a suitable lubricant.

Will some oils just barely meet the spec. and others surpass it substantially? Sure. Will some non API oils show better results that the recommend API certified oil? Of course it's possible. It's also possible to choose one that really doesn't work well in a given application, or is just an inferior product.

So the API certification is somewhat "oil for dummies" though I don't mean that in a bad way. It's great way to make sure your lubricant meets a suitable minimum standard. Other oils, API and non API may show much better performance in a given application. But the API spec will at least give you a minimum performance level and keep your engine warranty in tact...
Well Put... Couldn't have said it better myself. If your warranty has expired and your feeling like taking a chance on an oil that has not been tested and certified by API, by all means your free to put whatever you want in your engine. You can run vegetable oil for all i care. If you'd rather go with something that you know works and has credentials and test results to back it up rather than taking one of your buddies word on it then the API symbol means something. I myself am not rich enough to gamble with my diesel engine. I feel better knowing rather than wondering and hoping for something to work. But like i said, i dont have the luxury of being able to experiment with with a high dollar engine. Others may. I would think that any oil that meets or exceeds the API standards would want to be certified by them. They have nothing to lose by having it certified. If anything they would sell more. I've met tons of people who wont buy an oil that ISN'T API certified, i've never met single person who wont buy an oil because it IS API certified. With all that said, there might be oils out there that arent API certified that exceed the certifications. But given that it is seen as somewhat of a bench mark i am skeptical of an oil that claims to exceed the certifications but will not have it API certified.

/ Is Amsoil API certified? #40  
saparks10 said:
Well Put... Couldn't have said it better myself. If your warranty has expired and your feeling like taking a chance on an oil that has not been tested and certified by API, by all means your free to put whatever you want in your engine. You can run vegetable oil for all i care. If you'd rather go with something that you know works and has credentials and test results to back it up rather than taking one of your buddies word on it then the API symbol means something. I myself am not rich enough to gamble with my diesel engine. I feel better knowing rather than wondering and hoping for something to work. But like i said, i dont have the luxury of being able to experiment with with a high dollar engine. Others may. I would think that any oil that meets or exceeds the API standards would want to be certified by them. They have nothing to lose by having it certified. If anything they would sell more. I've met tons of people who wont buy an oil that ISN'T API certified, i've never met single person who wont buy an oil because it IS API certified. With all that said, there might be oils out there that arent API certified that exceed the certifications. But given that it is seen as somewhat of a bench mark i am skeptical of an oil that claims to exceed the certifications but will not have it API certified.

saparks10 and JSharp - Both well put and couldn't have said it better myself.

JSharp - He does have a very good Silicon count on the UOA. It's probably due to him running a double filter element. Last time I talked to him he said his outer filter was getting changed about every month and a half. The inner one last well over a year. Considering he is in a very dirty and dusty environment I to would be tickled pink with those numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.