Is Amsoil API certified?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Is Amsoil API certified? #1  

saparks10

Bronze Member
I have heard from many people that Amsoil is not API certified. I tried contacting them via email several times but have not heard back. Does anyone know for sure if they are or not?

/ Is Amsoil API certified? #4  
yes and no. A few oils are they make (cheap group 3's) are but the API symbol means ZERO! Their oil is heads above most. Install it and have fun and no worries.

/ Is Amsoil API certified?
frank_miller said:
yes and no. A few oils are they make (cheap group 3's) are but the API symbol means ZERO! Their oil is heads above most. Install it and have fun and no worries.
The API symbol does not mean zero. In any owners manual you will see that putting an oil that does not meet the particular API certification determined by the OEM can cause damage to the engine and is not covered under the warranty. It would be equivelant to having someone who says they are a nurse helping you, or having someone who is a registered nurse with credentials helping you.

/ Is Amsoil API certified? #6  
If the API certification meant nothing, it would be easy to get.

Some of their oils don't have it, for whatever reason.

I would not ignore the manufacturer's recommendation to use API certified oil, at least during the warranty period. After that, it makes no difference. But if you made it thru the warranty period using the recommended 'substandard' API rated oil, do you want to monkey with success?

/ Is Amsoil API certified? #7  
Too bad this means nothing as I stated. Prove it (that I did not use some XXX oil). They are going to pull an UOA and see what is up since the customer is not trusted. The odds of them telling me, the customer I did not use it are comical.

If the manual stated, use OEM air in the tires would you? API is there to make $$$$. If a symbol on a bottle means something to you, use China mart $1.50 per qt and I will use a Amsoil that is 10X as good and as shown in testing. API means you meet the min levels on certain specifications; or you are higher in certain areas (some are good too).

When Amsoil, Redline etc is noted in the API, the symbol means nothing. It is due to high levels of ZDDP etc. Which I personally want nor can they tell you, the customer you voided anything. I have used it for too long with new cars from, Dodge and Ford diesels to, Lexus and MB.

Also most dealers have no clue on oil levels and what to look for.

/ Is Amsoil API certified? #8  
Well just a little info on API and ACEA certifications, they do mean something. It means that that licensed oil has gone through hundreds and even thousands of hours of test. To get one weight of diesel engine C (commercial[diesel engine]) certified cost around $360,000 and to get a S (service[gas engine]) certified cost around $150,000. The cost covers the lab bench test and engines that are used for each test.

Instead of ranting about something you apparently know little about you might try to actually do some research on the test before you put them down.

/ Is Amsoil API certified? #9  
saparks10 said:
I have heard from many people that Amsoil is not API certified. I tried contacting them via email several times but have not heard back. Does anyone know for sure if they are or not?

From what I have heard over the years Amsoil does API license a couple of oils for those that want it. Their other (majority) oils are not licensed and often have additive levels that do not meet manufacturers specifications. It's a never ending debate, should you use them or not. My personal suggestion is to stick with a reputable API licensed oil. I also highly recommend looking for ACEA certification and oils that meet/exceed engine manufacturers spec's.

/ Is Amsoil API certified? #10  
DieselPower said:
Instead of ranting about something you apparently know little about you might try to actually do some research on the test before you put them down.

DP,because that ruins the effect of making a broohaha over something yo know nuthing about.

this whole thread is funny, the knucklehead sure walked right into it, up to his nostrils.

based on experience, I have found that it is better to use a brand that meets or exceeds spec and certifications, than to HOPE they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.