how long can I store diesel fuel before it goes bad?

/ how long can I store diesel fuel before it goes bad? #1  

adlertom

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC33DA hydro w/supersteer
How long does it take before the fuel deteriorates?

If I add a product like Power Service, how long then?

/ how long can I store diesel fuel before it goes bad? #2  
adlertom said:
How long does it take before the fuel deteriorates?

If I add a product like Power Service, how long then?

Try the search function, type in "diesel fuel storage" and read a spell.

/ how long can I store diesel fuel before it goes bad? #3  
   / how long can I store diesel fuel before it goes bad? #4  
I use PRI-G for gasoline stabilization. Love it. They have a diesel product PRI-D which I haven't used as it's not available in Canada, unfortunately.

PRI Advanced Fuel Treatments

/ how long can I store diesel fuel before it goes bad? #5  
Diesel will store for a long time, much better than gas IF it does not have enough water in it to support bacterial growth.

Several years, easily.

/ how long can I store diesel fuel before it goes bad? #6  
The diesel in the tank of my Benz was light brown after being stored for 4 1/2 years. Had to use Techron Red Line to stop the pinging at constant speed that resulted. Have used this additive twice in its 24 year life for the same reason: to stop that constant speed ping. Otherwise, I occasionally throw in some PS (but VERY rare) into its tank. Don't really think you need an additive unless some symptoms show up.

Ralph

/ how long can I store diesel fuel before it goes bad? #7  
Diesels in backup power service have large tanks that sit there full until the power goes out. Unless the outage is extended, the fuel may well sit in the tank for many years without being used, except for the occasional maintenance running.

I have had diesel fuel sit in a boat for at least six years that ran the engine fine. Nothing was done to it except the addition of a biocide when the tanks were filled.

/ how long can I store diesel fuel before it goes bad? #8  
Not recommended but this spring I helped my father inlaw to get a 1945ish international TD6 dozer ready for a buyer. This machine sat for close to 10years he said. The tank was close to full. he cleaned the gas side which is the starting side and put in a battery. It started on the gas cycle and we had to keep trying the switch to the diesel cycle which on this machine means compress the engine and switch from carb to diesel pump. Each time it ran a bit more and after about a 1/2 hour it ran on its own but could not rev up engine. The next day after playing with machine of and on for several times it walked onto float on its own power and still on that 10 year fuel.

/ how long can I store diesel fuel before it goes bad? #9  
RalphVa said:
Don't really think you need an additive unless some symptoms show up.
After the fuel has gelled, an additive wont help.

/ how long can I store diesel fuel before it goes bad? #10  
MikePA said:
After the fuel has gelled, an additive wont help.

Might want to look at this-Power Service 9-1-1
The spec sheet says- "Reliquefies gelled fuel in minutes"
Can't vouch for it, never have used it.