Diesel fuel additive

/ Diesel fuel additive #1  

jmfox

Platinum Member
I'm told if you use highway fuel that you better use additive. It seems that the stuff you buy at the local fuel stop is too clean (low sulfur etc.) for most diesels. My cold start switch stuck and the smoke didn't clear until it was run with some additive. What I'm hearing is that not all components of so called tier III motors are 100% ready for clean diesel. In my case it was the cold start switch.

If you are running additive what brand do you recommend?

jmf

/ Diesel fuel additive #2  
I use Stanadyne but also had good results (no problems) with Power Serve - sold in WalMart

I use it in my diesel trucks too in the hope it will keep injectors etc. cleaner. i think I get a little better mpg too but can't be sure

/ Diesel fuel additive #3  
I use power service in the white container. Amsoil also has an additive for ULSD fuel.

/ Diesel fuel additive #4  
Havent settled on a mix yet for the tractor, but in the truck I run 1qt of tcw-3 2 cycle oil per tank (if its MT), little heavy, should really be about 1qt per 34 gals. Truck is a '02 Dodge, you can really tell the difference in injector noise. B5 bio works well also, every few tanks I forgo the Oil and run b20.

DuaneW.

/ Diesel fuel additive #5  
I use Power Service (White Bottle) year round. I add a "double shot" as recommended on the label during the winter. I am afraid to use biodiesel due to its higher gell temperature point. Jay

/ Diesel fuel additive #6  
jbrumberg said:
I use Power Service (White Bottle) year round. I add a "double shot" as recommended on the label during the winter. I am afraid to use biodiesel due to its higher gell temperature point. Jay

How much is a double shot?

/ Diesel fuel additive #7  
Three "glugs" if I remember correctly.:)
Seriously, 1.6 oz of Power Service with KleenDiesel and Cetane Boost will treat 5 gallons of fuel, but you can use (double shot) up to 3 oz for 5 gallons.

/ Diesel fuel additive #8  
jmfox said:
I'm told if you use highway fuel that you better use additive. It seems that the stuff you buy at the local fuel stop is too clean (low sulfur etc.) for most diesels. My cold start switch stuck and the smoke didn't clear until it was run with some additive. What I'm hearing is that not all components of so called tier III motors are 100% ready for clean diesel. In my case it was the cold start switch.

If you are running additive what brand do you recommend?

jmf

This is my take on LSD and ULSD. The different refineries that sell this stuff are adding some kind of additive to replace the lost lubricity due to the low and especially the ultra low sulfur diesel. If they didn't they could be liable for thousands of lawsuits due to engine failure.

/ Diesel fuel additive #9  
There was recently a thread on the Oil, Fuel, Lubricants forum that starting getting a little political in terms of the feds and fuel and was shut down.

FWIW, I just added some of the PowerServe (white bottle) for the upcoming winter months to prevent gelling. That was based on some of the advice from that thread. Also, keep your tank filled!

/ Diesel fuel additive #10  
BillyP said:

This is my take on LSD and ULSD. The different refineries that sell this stuff are adding some kind of additive to replace the lost lubricity due to the low and especially the ultra low sulfur diesel. If they didn't they could be liable for thousands of lawsuits due to engine failure.

Billy, The refineries don't add the additives, the distributors do. I don't want to bet my $12000 diesel truck engine on their good will and altruism. Last year they didn't add enough gel point suppressants and nearly everyone was gel'ed up last February when the weather turned to normal WI cold (-15f).

Just for the record, I don't believe in the tooth fairy either.

jb