GM Oil Life Monitor

/ GM Oil Life Monitor #1  

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
I wish my tractor had an oil life monitor like my current Chevy has and my Cadillac had. Right now (at 3700 miles) my oil life monitor says I have 78% life left in the oil. I would have chnaged the oil 700 miles ago.

I have learned how changing the oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles was a waste of oil, time and money.

Bob

/ GM Oil Life Monitor #2  
Doc_Bob said:
I wish my tractor had an oil life monitor like my current Chevy has and my Cadillac had. Right now (at 3700 miles) my oil life monitor says I have 78% life left in the oil. I would have chnaged the oil 700 miles ago.

I have learned how changing the oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles was a waste of oil, time and money.

Bob

I always have thought that 3000 mile changes was an absolute joke. But Ive seen trannys go bad...windshield wipers go hay-wire...even whole dashboards go dead. Im not going to trust my engine to some gizmo that tells me my oil is still good or not.

/ GM Oil Life Monitor #3  
This is pure speculation on my part, but I am almost certain they are not measuring any property of the oil itself at all. I would guess that they count the number of starts, total miles, miles driven while less than warmed up, etc. and make a prediction regarding the health of the oil. I'm with Sully, I doubt that I'd ever completely trust that thing.

/ GM Oil Life Monitor #4  
CP, I'm 99% sure you are correct in how it works. But I still think it is a reasonable guess and reasonable to follow. I have had a GM vehicle with the OLM for about 5 weeks now. 1500 miles after my first change, OLM is indicating 85% life left. Virtually every trip I take is >15 miles and lets the oil get and stay at full operating temp for a while, so this seems entirely reasonable. I'm not likely to wait until 0% oil life left to change, but if the OLM says I still have 50% life at 4000 miles - which seems very likely - I may feel comfortable going 6-8k miles between changes.

/ GM Oil Life Monitor #5  
Oil has improved VASTLY from the 40's and 50's when it was worn out by 3000 miles. Heck, by modern standards, oil from the 40's would be worn out when new!

The only way to KNOW for sure is by a chemical oil analysis. Blackstone, CAT and others offer the service for 20-30 bucks. Check your oil at 5, 7, 10, 12k and you will see how it's life is fairing. Any other method is little more than a WAG or in the case of the OLM, a SWAG.

Still, today most oils are good for at least 10k miles and often much more. Depends on the engine and driving habits. Aside from falling prey to the rapacious greed of the oil companies, there is no down side to changing early.

jb

/ GM Oil Life Monitor
john_bud said:
Oil has improved VASTLY from the 40's and 50's when it was worn out by 3000 miles. Heck, by modern standards, oil from the 40's would be worn out when new!

Still, today most oils are good for at least 10k miles and often much more. Depends on the engine and driving habits.
jb

The more I read the more I understand that oils are very good now. 3K is old news. I have not seen a new car call for 3k oil chnages. Many are 12 months or 7500 miles. I am okay with 5k easy and with the OLM I am sure I can go longer. Will I go to 0%? No way!! But 3k oil changes seem not to make sense??
Bob

/ GM Oil Life Monitor #7  
My 2004 Buick LeSabre has the oil monitor also. Have 32,000 miles on it now.
I have been changing the oil when the monitor was reading 20% to 25% left.
I think it has been changed 4 times. Along with filter of course. The dealer
decided the schdule. Most trips are 15 to 20 miles and a few much longer.
Getting close to the next change. I think. Just my 2cents too. elad

/ GM Oil Life Monitor #8  
the OLM moniters the vehicle operation and the driver operation. It watches transmission temp, coolant temp, eoil temp, shift patterns, miles between start and stop of engine. It does a good job at predicting when oil needs to be changed. Remember that a computer is "running" your vehicle today. If OLM malfunctions, you will be prompted to have it seviced. I have gone as high as 9700 on an oil change in a 1500 Silerado with a 5.3 motor.

/ GM Oil Life Monitor #9  
I have the OLM in my GMC turck and I usually change when it gets around 20% oil life. Mileage at this point is around 6,000 to 7,000 miles and the oil still looks pretty good but I still change it. I'm going to change it this weekend and was thinking of sending in some for an OLA just to see what it tells me.

/ GM Oil Life Monitor
dknarnd said:
I have the OLM in my GMC turck and I usually change when it gets around 20% oil life. Mileage at this point is around 6,000 to 7,000 miles and the oil still looks pretty good but I still change it. I'm going to change it this weekend and was thinking of sending in some for an OLA just to see what it tells me.

The OLA results would be awesome!
Bob