Brother n' law says off road diesel is bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Brother n' law says off road diesel is bad #1  

Roto

Gold Member
Tractor
TC55DA and TC33D
He says that off road diesel is bad because it plugs injectors and is not as efficient and that sort of thing. Says it doesnt burn as good because the die doesnt burn and ends up plugging things up and that sort of thing. Ive been running it but want to know if i should or not?

mike

/ Brother n' law says off road diesel is bad #2  
I run off road also, and have had no problems at all. I have heard just the opposite as far as the dye goes, i've heard it acts as a lubricant.

I'd guess you just wouldn't want to run it in a new diesel truck (off road) because of the sulfer content.

/ Brother n' law says off road diesel is bad #3  
No brother in law ever gave good info.

/ Brother n' law says off road diesel is bad #4  
cp1969 said:
No brother in law ever gave good info.

Must not be the "favorite" brother in law. Misinformed.

/ Brother n' law says off road diesel is bad #5  
It varies by location. But here there is absolutely no difference between off road and road except the color. Comes from the same tanks and tankers. My thoughts your BIL is a missinformed old biddy.

/ Brother n' law says off road diesel is bad #6  
I disagree. The sulfur content differs greatly.

/ Brother n' law says off road diesel is bad #7  
One person told me the fuel filters kept getting clogged up on his new John Deere and it would quit on him, until the dealer's mechanic said it was the red dye plugging the filters, so he quit using the red dyed fuel. The employee who pumped my diesel into the 55 gallon barrel at the fuel distributor said he wouldn't worry about it if it were going to be used within a month or less, but any longer might be a problem. I never bought any dyed fuel myself. So I've had several other people tell me those two guys, and maybe the Deere dealer's mechanic, didn't know what they were talking about. I also had a couple of real farmer neighbors who had big tractors; one had a 1,000 gallon tank and pump, the other just filled two 55 gallon barrels at a time, and neither of them would buy any dyed diesel.

Now I don't know enough to have a valid opinion myself, but your brother-in-law ain't alone in his opinion by any means.

/ Brother n' law says off road diesel is bad #8  
Red fuel clogging filters is a new one on me, I have about 150+ diesel generators at work and they ALL run red fuel with no problems:cool:
As for suphur content- as said it depends on where you are, it is identical to on-road ULSD with just dye added in some places and is still higher sulphur fuel some places although that is changing and it will ALL be ULSD eventually.

/ Brother n' law says off road diesel is bad #9  
I've been using off-road diesel in the tractors for at least 25 years. So far, no problems. I do change the fuel filter with each oil change, but I would no matter what fuel I used. Some problems might come from how big a turnover a distributor has with their fuel. The dealer I buy from sells to several oil field service companies so they move a lot of fuel and what I buy should be fresh.

/ Brother n' law says off road diesel is bad #10  
Skyco said:
Red fuel clogging filters is a new one on me, I have about 150+ diesel generators at work and they ALL run red fuel with no problems:cool:
As for suphur content- as said it depends on where you are, it is identical to on-road ULSD with just dye added in some places and is still higher sulphur fuel some places although that is changing and it will ALL be ULSD eventually.

So your saying the only real difference is taxed fuel vs. untaxed(or lower taxed) dyed fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.