Diesel Smoking

/ Diesel Smoking #1  

MajMac392

Gold Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 7234, John Deere X300 Riding Lawn Mower
My Cub Cadet, (Mitsubishi 23HP) diesel seems to me it smokes more than I remember it doing. It has about 260 hours on the engine and although I have always put road use diesel in it I discovered a place that sells off road diesel so since the spring of this year I have used it. Now that it is colder I notice it seems to smoke longer, maybe a couple or three minutes, until the engine warms up some. It is just black smoke and is pretty much gone when under load, plowing, etc. They tell me that it is the winter blend although there is still a lot of the summer formula in the tank. I've noticed no other differences in the operation of the tractor, just more smoking than I remember. Does the off road diesel smoke more and/or does a summer blend smoke more in cold temperatures? Thanks.

/ Diesel Smoking #2  
Mine has smoked in cold weather since I got it. I don't think it is a problem, it clears up in about 5 minutes after it warms up.

/ Diesel Smoking #3  
Sounds like normal cold weather warm up smoking to me. Diesel engines are not very effecient until they get some heat in the cylinders, not effecient leeds to incomplete combustion, ie... soot.

/ Diesel Smoking #4  
on a crude little diesel engine like you have on your tractor, if its quits smoking after it warms up you are good to go.

/ Diesel Smoking #5  
My diesel tractor puts out A LOT of blue/white smoke for about the first 30 seconds, particularly when cold. It clears up. Only see a bit of black smoke when it works really hard, generally just a puff before it clears up again. Got 284 hours on it. Always been this way.

Ralph

/ Diesel Smoking
Wow, Kick, what a way to insult a guy, "Crude Little Diesel". ;) It has always smoked some on startup,especially in cold weather but it just seemed a lot heavier smoke than I remember it. I didn't know but maybe the offroad diesel tended to do that more than the road worthy stuff.

/ Diesel Smoking #7  
MajMac392 said:
Wow, Kick, what a way to insult a guy, "Crude Little Diesel". ;) It has always smoked some on startup,especially in cold weather but it just seemed a lot heavier smoke than I remember it. I didn't know but maybe the offroad diesel tended to do that more than the road worthy stuff.

I've got pretty much the same thing at home, a nice crude little diesel Mitsubishi D2000

when ya 1st start it, it smokes... but it aint like the sucker has electonic controls and high pressure injection. weather coools off, get even more of that smoke until engine warms up.

/ Diesel Smoking #8  
Come on guy's. It's a diesel, it's supposed to smoke. Ain't that why you bought it in the first place, the manly man smell of diesel in the morning! :D

/ Diesel Smoking #9  
DieselPower said:
Come on guy's. It's a diesel, it's supposed to smoke. Ain't that why you bought it in the first place, the manly man smell of diesel in the morning! :D

I love the smell of offroad diesel in the morning.

it smells like Victory.

/ Diesel Smoking #10  
The smell of stale gas ( burned of course in an old gasser tractor ).. or diesel is a bit of a turn on IMHO! ;)

Soundguy