Statement regarding JD "synthetic" & "semi-syn..."

/ Statement regarding JD "synthetic" & "semi-syn..." #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, KubotaL4300, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Over the past years I purchased 5 gal pails of JD "semi-synthetic" oil. That's what it said on the container. It said "semi." Yet the JD part number and marketing only referred to it as "full syn..." But I had seen marketing material a few years ago that mentioned both full and syn.
Since i wanted full syn I persued this for a number of months and got the usual responses. I figured JD had originally offered full and part syn and this was old and discontinued stock that I was seeing --and buying. I mean if the container said "semi" and you say "full" something is wrong.
Finally, my question was referred to an engineer and on a Sunday I got and e-mail explaining that in the early days they had planned to offer both full and syn and didn't want to have semi incorrectly labelled as full so they started wtih the "semi" packaging. But they never got around to making just the semi, however.
He wrote that the only oil syn JD ever made was "full" and they never made any semi-syn regardless of what the packaging says.
Just thought I would offer this in case someone runs across the "semi" version of the packaging. It's all full synthetic and JD never made any semi synthetic.

/ Statement regarding JD "synthetic" & "semi-syn..." #2  
I doubt JD ever "made" any oil, but had it packaged by a lube supplier.

/ Statement regarding JD "synthetic" & "semi-syn..." #3  
Sounds right to me. At the J-D parts site for the 0W-40, Oil and Lubricants : Plus-50, 0W-40 it mentions using 100% synthetic base stock for that oil.

I'm gonna guess that it's definitely a good oil - J-D states that you can run 50% longer drain intervals than the manual recommends if you use it and their filters.

BTW - I have a case of older (abt 3 yrs, or so) bottles of J-D Supreme Plus 50 0W-40, part #TY24349, that say "Synthetic Blend" on the side. Maybe I should hang onto 'em, they might be collector's items some day. :D