My Diesel Storage and Transfer Set-up

/ My Diesel Storage and Transfer Set-up #1  

bialecki

Gold Member
I purchased this 30 gallon diesel caddy from Northerntool.com and added their 12 volt 5 gallon/ minute pump. With a little plumbing and a couple of three-quarter inch ball valves I can now transfer diesel from my 5 gallon containers into the caddy for filling or directly into the tractor. This setup eliminates the need to lift the 5 gallon 35 pound containers chest high and try to hold the container while filling the caddy or the Kubota. The wheels on the caddy makes it portable enough to move about within my garage or driveway for easy transfer to the tractor. I did add a 14 foot fuel line with a manual nozzle. The nozzle is convenient when filling my B7800 due to the cross member/ brace that Kubota added for the FEL that crosses right over the fuel cap of the tractor. Attached are a few photos showing the caddy and a close-up of the plumbing. I used the yellow Tygon line to transfer the fuel from the 5 gallon containers to the caddy and the black line with the nozzle from the caddy to the Kubota.

Attachments

• Diesel Caddy_edTMP200108.jpg
    Diesel Caddy_edTMP200108.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 3,850
  • Diesel Caddy with Pump and Fittings200108.jpg
    Diesel Caddy with Pump and Fittings200108.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 3,144
  • Plumbing with 12V Diesel Pump200108.jpg
    Plumbing with 12V Diesel Pump200108.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 2,826
   / My Diesel Storage and Transfer Set-up #2  
Nice looking job you did on the plumbing. Sure has to beat lifting those 5 gal buckets.

/ My Diesel Storage and Transfer Set-up #3  
Interesting caddy. Your garage looks like it still might have that "new garage smell", too.

/ My Diesel Storage and Transfer Set-up
GinNB said:
Interesting caddy. Your garage looks like it still might have that "new garage smell", too.

Built the garage about a year ago, 30'X24' keeps the Kubota nice and warm and keeps the wife's car nice and cold.:D

Attachments

• 2008_01200081_edTMP200108.jpg
    2008_01200081_edTMP200108.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 1,955
  • The Kubota Home200108.jpg
    The Kubota Home200108.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 1,818
   / My Diesel Storage and Transfer Set-up #5  
Hahahaha, cute. My wife's car sleeps outside too. As does mine. I've got room for a Ninja ZX-12R, a box freezer, and too much junk. Tractors sleep at the farm. :)

/ My Diesel Storage and Transfer Set-up #6  
Looks real nice. How does the price of your setup compare w/ a 50-70 gal tank and rotary hand pump?

/ My Diesel Storage and Transfer Set-up #7  
When you pump from the 5 gal tanks into the caddy, does the diesel go through the pump and out the dispenser nozzle into the vent/filler shaft? This would mean the "lower" gate valve is closed.

Could you just remove the vent cap and pour directly into the caddy from the 5 gal cans?

gordon21 said:
When you pump from the 5 gal tanks into the caddy, does the diesel go through the pump and out the dispenser nozzle into the vent/filler shaft? This would mean the "lower" gate valve is closed. Yes

Could you just remove the vent cap and pour directly into the caddy from the 5 gal cans?
Yes, but, I figured while I was plumbing the tank why not add another ball valve and use the original hose that came with the caddy as a transfer line this way I don't have to lift and hold the 35#s of diesel. Your right I could just pour it into the fill spout of the caddy. That is what I was doing over the summer, but it is really a pain while your holding it and having the diesel chug along. The original hand crank pump that came with the unit was a pain as well because you have to have the nozzle within reach while you turn the hand crank and hope you don't overfill the fuel tank of the tractor. This meant I had to move the caddy along side the tractor. Now I just leave it in place within my garage. I have a 12 volt battery that I use as the power supply versus the battery of the tractor. I just flip the switch of the pump, the nozzle dead-heads the centrifugal pump until you pull the lever of the nozzle, watch until it's full and shut off.

daveinnh said:
Looks real nice. How does the price of your setup compare w/ a 50-70 gal tank and rotary hand pump?
The caddy was $370, the nozzle and 14' grounded fuel hose were $35, the pump was $69 and the fittings were $25. I didn't expect to spend so much but before you knew it I was into it for $500. However I a recouped $30 because I filled the tank when diesel was $2.50. (LOL)

/ My Diesel Storage and Transfer Set-up #10  
bialecki said:
I purchased this 30 gallon diesel caddy from Northerntool.com and added their 12 volt 5 gallon/ minute pump. With a little plumbing and a couple of three-quarter inch ball valves I can now transfer diesel from my 5 gallon containers into the caddy for filling or directly into the tractor. This setup eliminates the need to lift the 5 gallon 35 pound containers chest high and try to hold the container while filling the caddy or the Kubota. The wheels on the caddy makes it portable enough to move about within my garage or driveway for easy transfer to the tractor. I did add a 14 foot fuel line with a manual nozzle. The nozzle is convenient when filling my B7800 due to the cross member/ brace that Kubota added for the FEL that crosses right over the fuel cap of the tractor. Attached are a few photos showing the caddy and a close-up of the plumbing. I used the yellow Tygon line to transfer the fuel from the 5 gallon containers to the caddy and the black line with the nozzle from the caddy to the Kubota.
Why not forget the 5 gallon cans and get home deliver and let them fill the caddy?
That's what I plan on doing when I get my 30 gallon drum set up!