Grease gun ?

/ Grease gun ? #1  

IXLR8

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK-40SE
My Kioti CK30 was delivered last week. :D I knew I needed to get something to grease a few fittings... I had no idea one machine could have sooooo many grease fittings. :eek: What do folks recommend I look for in a grease gun to make this piece of ownership as easy as possible? Within reason, like I don't have an aircompressor handy so an air powered gun is not an option. :( Any recommendations on what to stay away from?

/ Grease gun ? #2  
I used to think that my tractor had lots of grease fittings until I got my batwing mower... there are greae fittings on it every few feet!

soundguy

/ Grease gun ? #3  
Someone on this site posted a link to a free power Grease gun from Gempler's, if you ordered $300 worth of stuff. There were things I needed that were on clearance, so I jumped on the deal.

PowerLuber™ 12-volt Cordless Rechargeable Grease Gun Kit - GEMPLER'S

The one I got was an older model of the one listed above... Have not used it, planning to use it this wk/ed. It's a LOT of money... IF you have to buy it.

PS. The link was deleted and the offer ended on 1/11/08.

Last edited:
   / Grease gun ? #4  
I don't have an aircompressor

Well, you're going to need one anyway, so you might as well buy that first.:D I prefer air powered if you're where there is compressed air, but if you want battery powered, I've heard nothing but good things about the Lincoln. And if you don't have a lot of greasing to do, the manual grease guns work just fine. Lincoln is a good brand in those, too, but there are also many other good ones. I had one made by Alemite that I got at Tractor Supply Company and never had a reason to complain about it. I would say to be sure and get a flexible hose instead of just the rigid nozzle or you're almost bound to find some fittings you can't get onto.

/ Grease gun ? #5  
I'd consider multiple grease guns. At least one with lithium grease for 'normal' use, and one with moly grease for slow moving joints with heavy loads - ala your backhoe.

/ Grease gun ? #6  
Lincoln is pretty much the standard in grease guns. Air powered aren't much good unless you get the big industrial ones that mount to a barrel of grease. But they're over $500. Buy a lincoln and don't abuse it and it will probably outlast you. All for about 30 bucks or less.

/ Grease gun ? #7  
I've had a Lincoln battery operated grease gun now for about 3 years and don't know how I did without it before. It makes greasing machines about as easy as it gets. Almost fun! Well almost............greasing is never any fun.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Grease gun ?
Thanks for the replies so far... I am considering multiple guns, too much work to change out the greases for different purposes. Hmmm never thought about a battery powered gun... how do the batteries hold up. Short battery life, not being able to get replacements has soured me on cordless drills.

/ Grease gun ? #9  
Wayne County Hose said:
Air powered aren't much good unless you get the big industrial ones that mount to a barrel of grease.

I have to disagree, I have been using this Craftsman air powered grease gun for over 3 years now and it has been great. I just drive over to the shed where I have a small 5 gallon CH air compressor and hit every grease point on my tractor within 20 minutes. My unit is a single shot, so you have to keep hitting the trigger to "pump" grease into the fitting but they do make a continuous flow unit for a little more that I will be getting shortly.

/ Grease gun ? #10  
I'm with you, Derek. I used an Alemite made air grease gun, single shot, but it worked well and fast. Of course many years ago, I used the continuous flow "industrial" type on barrels of grease since my dad had a service station, way back in the days when they actually were "service" stations.:)