Can't get the grease gun off the grease fitting..am I retarded?

/ Can't get the grease gun off the grease fitting..am I retarded? #1  

Sniggle

Silver Member
Tractor
2003 Kubota B7800 (new to me @ 435 hours
I was giving my 'new to me' B7800/FEL 402 some love today, changing oil, checking all fluids, and hitting all the grease points.

I was having a heck of a time getting the grease gun off of some of the fitting. It slipped on them easy, but them when I finished pumping the grease fitting just would not let go. There must be a trick that I just don't know. Please help me (have the same issue on my Kubota G1900).

Unfortunately, I hurt Bota. One of the grease fittings on the one of the bucket pins broke off. Sucks. I am hoping I can just push this pin out and get my pocal dealer to extract old grease fitting base/install new grease fitting.

/ Can't get the grease gun off the grease fitting..am I retarded? #2  
if you are having that problem on different machines you might consider changing the fitting on the grease gun itself, might be your problem

/ Can't get the grease gun off the grease fitting..am I retarded? #3  
on the socket that goes over the grease fitting ,there is two parts .loosen it up and it should come off.

/ Can't get the grease gun off the grease fitting..am I retarded? #4  
Sniggle, Be careful with thread titles, you'll get answers like " which question do you want answered first? or "are the questions related? ". :confused:

lovemytoys gave you the answer to the first question. As for the broken zerk, go to any parts store & get a zerk removal tool like this: G.L. Huyett : 1/4"-28 Easyout Tool. It'll remove the broken zerk, fix any damaged threads, & install the new zerk. It's a lot easier than pulling a pin.
BTW welcome aboard! MikeD74T

/ Can't get the grease gun off the grease fitting..am I retarded? #5  
If you check your timing and it's after TDC, then you are indeed retarded. If you are after TDC at full RPM then you are severely retarded.

Follow MikeD74T's advice and remove/replace the fitting yourself. Or just use a flat blade screw driver lightly tapped into the hollow part of the broken fitting and lefty loosey it out.

If you have not greased in a LONG time the old grease may be thick, or hardened to a rock or even rusted. In those cases, unscrew the head from the gun that will remove pressure and off it will pop with no problem. Once I figured out that the ones that stick the gun are clogged, it got easier.

You can buy a box of 20-25 zerks for under 10 bucks. do it.

jb

/ Can't get the grease gun off the grease fitting..am I retarded? #6  
Wouldnt the OP be more like 'mentally challenged' - gotta be so PC in todays society.. LOL

brian

/ Can't get the grease gun off the grease fitting..am I retarded? #7  
It's happenned to me more than a couple of times as well. I keep meaning to check the fitting on the gun to see if it does loosen up as others say it does here.

As it turns out, you are not the only guy on TBN to have currently broken off the grease fitting on one of the bucket pins. I have done it (twice)! I cannot seem to get the remanants of the grease fitting out of the pin - maybe they are already out. I'm wondering at this point of the grease fitting is just part of the pin in my case... don't know.

I'll probably just take the pin into the dealer to see if I have to order in a new pin as I did the last time - which came with the grease fitting in place, or if I can just get a new fitting on there.

/ Can't get the grease gun off the grease fitting..am I retarded? #8  
To be a little more specific . If the gun is still on the nipple , hold the hex part of the bit you push onto the nipple with a shifter , with a pair of pliers or multigrips turn the end closest to the machine clockwise (thats if you are at the rear of the grease gun) The jaws in the end of this component are adjustable , doing this will release them . Do'nt retighten this component , leave it loose and you can simply adjust it with your fingers if you get an undersize zerk which causes grease leakage when you pump . Use the pointy end of a chainsaw file to get the broken zerk out , simply tap it in and turn counter clockwise with a 6 inch shifter on the square bit to remove the zerk . If the point of the file wont go in far enough , break a bit off the end with a pair of pliers untill it is big enough . Using this method stops the zerk from expanding in the hole and becoming tighter as happens when you use a tappered "easy-out" .

/ Can't get the grease gun off the grease fitting..am I retarded? #9  
....and be prepared to have fingers full of grease. I just hit 20 hours on my machine (all FEL work, lots of snow this year!!), so did the second loader lube with my new Lincoln grease gun. Had to loosen the knurled nut each time to release it from the zerk, not quite sure why the new guns/zerks are so stubborn, never had that trouble with my old gun. Just be prepared for a sticky mess :rolleyes:

/ Can't get the grease gun off the grease fitting..am I retarded? #10  
Could not loosen the jam nut on the end piece even in a vice and big pliers. Finally settled for turning the whole thing to loosen a bit. Interesting about how can pressure lock the fitting on the zerk, never heard of that one but could see where it is totally possible. Too bad does not come with a 'float' position.

Newer tractors seem not to have retards or advances, the 'puter does it all for you. How do i think for myself again?