Anyone using general purpose grease?

/ Anyone using general purpose grease? #1  

canoetrpr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 cab/hyd shuttle - current, Kubota L3400 - traded
I've been using Moly based grease on my stuff. I can't seem to find it in bulk pails however and I've been thinking of switching to bulk.

Moly is also kinda ugly black on my loader. Bit of a lame thing to complain about - it is grease after all!

What do you guys think about just using general purpose grease on the tractor, loader and implements? I figure that if I keep things greased up well there should be no problems - particularly with 50 to 75 hrs use per year :)

/ Anyone using general purpose grease? #2  
Probably no problem.
However, since the problem seems to be the mess of that grease, why not switch to J Deere grease? I use their middle grade--brownish color--and for certain things the green color top of the line "poly" grease. Neither is black and messy but rather "sticky" and and creamy and doesn't migrate everywhere. They seem to have three grades for ag stuff and these are the "better" and "best". I really like it and gave my old grease to my neighbor.
If it matters, some poly-type greases are not compatible with cetain moly greases but I got it confirmed that JD green poly mixes with others at JD just fine.

/ Anyone using general purpose grease? #3  
I use non-moly lithium complex extreme pressure grease for most things except FEL pins. It is basically what I think of as general purpose grease for tractors or medium to heavy machinery. Works fine. I have some JD brand (tan color) and also some Lucas Red n' Tacky, which is basically the same.

I use JD brand moly extreme pressure grease for FEL pins. Moly is a better choice for FEL pins, but if you grease with non-moly grease on a regular schedule, I think it would be decades (of 50-75 hrs/year) before you would have a wear issue. Greasing on schedule is likely more important than which brand or exact formula you use.

/ Anyone using general purpose grease? #4  
Since you have loader equipment I would recommend you stay with a Moly fortified grease if you plan on sticking with a single grease. The dry film lubrication properties of the Moly are of great benefit in applications like FEL's and BH pivot pins (extreme high pressure on small contact patch's).

Here's a link to a thread on TBN about grease and grease sellection. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...rease-please-educate-me.html?highlight=grease