API Oil Ratings

/ API Oil Ratings #1  

MikePA

Super Moderator
Tractor
Had TC25D, now JD X310
I thought this <A target="_blank" HREF=http://api-ep.api.org/filelibrary/ACF1E1.pdf>link</A> might be of assistance to others. I read through all my owner's manuals and documented which oils, grease, etc. my tractor and each of the implements needed in preparation for buying some Amsoil products.

One thing that was confusing were the API ratings listed in the manuals versus what I found at the Amsoil site. For example, my tractor manual indicated that I needed API SG-CE. Well, none of the Amsoil products listed this rating. The 'problem' is the SG (gasoline) and CE (diesel) are obsolete API ratings. The current ratings being SJ or SL and CF/CG/CH.

/ API Oil Ratings #2  
OK lets talk about Amsoil myths, truths, facts, and fiction. First I am not saying Amsoil is bad its not its a good oil. But here it goes. Amsoil has a problem in the industry right now in the auto industry they cant pass the API standards.

Key Limitations For API Licensed Formulas

Phosphorous content - .10% maximum
(API SL; 0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30, 10W-30 viscosity grades, only)

NOACK volatility - 15% maximum

The prevalent sources of phosphorous in motor oils are additives called zinc dithiophosphates (ZDTPs). Currently, these versatile additives act as oxidation/corrosion inhibitors and aid in the ability of a lubricant to reduce wear. The automobile manufacturers, however, have demanded that lubricants contain a maximum of only .10% phosphorous. Their reason is that some manufacturers believe that higher phosphorous content levels will poison the catalytic converters on their cars before they reach 150,000 miles, which is the number of miles that their vehicles will be required to pass EPA emission standards.

Now obviously Amsoil has put a their own positive spin on this problem on their site:

AMSOIL API Licensing

However the bottom line is take out the phosphorous if you want to pass or don't if you don't. So Mobil One passes they don't. Also personally I don't want to take the risk that at 150k I will need a new emissions system. They are expensive. That is just me...... Also Don't let Ford GM Chrysler find out you used a non api oil they will void your warranty even though I know Amsoil says they will pay the tab thats the last thing you want to ever have to deal with. So that is why they cant post it. So on a tractor with no emissions it doesn't matter.............OK

Now as far as superseding New oil always supersede old oils as far as quality and ability. The only exception to this rule is if you have a 50s-60's car and want the Zinc that was originally in the oil for lubrication of the valve train. New oils don't have it anymore. HOWEVER If you take your late model car and put Shell Rotella T 15W40 in it you will have the original formula and better that it was meant to run on. Most people don't realize that. Again don't try this in a emissions car.

Type in API on the INTERNET and you can get all the codes and the years and the superseding codes and current codes.

I hope this helps with the pain................

/ API Oil Ratings #3  
There are some who will say anything to discredit Amsoil and its products.

Amsoil has oils that are API , get your facts correct.

Do they also have premium oils that are not licensed? You bet! So does Mobil 1 (Extended Performance), Red Line, Royal Purple.
AMSOIL INC began marketing licensed motor oil products on August 8, 1997 under a license issued by the American Petroleum Institute. This License and Agreement will terminate on August 8, 2008 unless extended by mutual agreement.

The Certification Marks referred to and licensed under the agreement between API and the licensee are as follows:
Licensee is authorized to display the API Service Symbol on the following products during the period of August 8, 2007 through August 8, 2008:

Brand Name SAE Viscosity Grade Service Category Current Expiration Date
PCO 15W-40 CI-4/SL** August 8, 2008
XL 10W-30 SM/CF* August 8, 2008
XL 10W-40 SM/CF August 8, 2008
XL 5W-20 SM/CF* August 8, 2008
XL 5W-30 SM/CF* August 8, 2008

* - Energy Conserving ** - CI-4 Plus
http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayLicenseInfo.asp?LicenseNo=0995

PS-I have been using Amsoil non-API oils since 1975. Never once in all those years did any of my engines ever experience an failures or been torn into. I have their top of the line 0W-30 non-api oil in my 2005 Cadillac and my 2008 GMC Sierra K1500. All this BS about warranties being voided is pure crap. They cannot void your warranty that easy, Warranty applicability is contingent upon the cause of failure..

Amsoil is ISO 9001:2000

Last edited:
   / API Oil Ratings #4  
Z71 said:
There are some who will say anything to discredit Amsoil and its products.

Amsoil has oils that are API , get your facts correct.

Do they also have premium oils that are not licensed? You bet! So does Mobil 1 (Extended Performance), Red Line, Royal Purple.

http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayLicenseInfo.asp?LicenseNo=0995

PS-I have been using Amsoil non-API oils since 1975. Never once in all those years did any of my engines ever experience an failures or been torn into. I have their top of the line 0W-30 non-api oil in my 2005 Cadillac and my 2008 GMC Sierra K1500. All this BS about warranties being voided is pure crap. They cannot void your warranty that easy, Warranty applicability is contingent upon the cause of failure..

Tell it like it is . Bro !;)

/ API Oil Ratings #5  
I have the Amsoil catalog in front of me. Every oil is API rated except 20w50 racing oil. Even the gear lube is API rated. Example: Their newest diesel oil 5w40 Premium diesel for 07 and newer models API CJ-4 , CI-4,CH4,CF, and a whole bunch more. I run Amsoil, but they really have a wierd way of selling it.

/ API Oil Ratings #6  
Wrong. You might try checking the API license directory. You will find they only have 5 Service Category licenses and 3 ILSAC Oil Specification licenses. They license very few of their products. I think what you will find is that they say their other oils "can be" used for or "meet" the category's you listed. They are not licensed and were never tested by the API (other than the couple listed here).

Brand Name SAE Viscosity Grade Service Category Current Expiration Date
PCO 15W-40 CI-4/SL** August 8, 2008
XL 10W-30 SM/CF* August 8, 2008
XL 10W-40 SM/CF August 8, 2008
XL 5W-20 SM/CF* August 8, 2008
XL 5W-30 SM/CF* August 8, 2008

Brand Name SAE Viscosity Grade ILSAC Oil Specification Current ExpirationDate
XL 10W-30 GF-4 August 8, 2008
XL 5W-20 GF-4 August 8, 2008
XL 5W-30 GF-4 August 8, 2008

/ API Oil Ratings #7  
Z71 said:

Last things first:

Being ISO certified is about as important as what color boxer shorts I have on today..at least I think I have some on today??

Secondly..the automotive "giants" can do ANYTHING they want to do..period. I DID NOT say LEGALLY do it...but they can refuse your warranty on a whim. Your recourse...fight them in court.

Now I dont know about some on the BB...but Im POSITIVE that GM ( in this case) has more $$$ than I do..and they will stonewall you to the point your engine will have rusted away far enough it wont make a good paperweight buy the time the courts find in your favor! ( Which they would of course)

So my question is ...WHY CHANCE IT? Your life would be like "Beat me with a chain now..the whip doesnt hurt anymore"...:eek:

And as far as you have run...etc..etc..for decades.....I ran some pretty hot V8's from the mid 60's to mid 80's on 10W-30; straight 30...and straight 40 weight VALVOLENE...before I knew any better of course

/ API Oil Ratings #8  
Amsoil's XL series oils are synthetic blends and meet the API standards. Their reasoning here was to break into the "blends" catagory with a more cost effective oil for the consumer. IMO these oils are no better than any blend on the shelves, at 3 times the cost. Their full syn line is some good stuff, but I just can't justify the cost. BTW - they market the syn oils as comparible to API

/ API Oil Ratings #9  
crashz said:
Amsoil's XL series oils are synthetic blends and meet the API standards. Their reasoning here was to break into the "blends" catagory with a more cost effective oil for the consumer. IMO these oils are no better than any blend on the shelves, at 3 times the cost. Their full syn line is some good stuff, but I just can't justify the cost. BTW - they market the syn oils as comparible to API

The XL line is a synthetic and not a blend. It is a hydro processed oil similar to Pennzoil Platnum, Castrol Syntec and Rotella syn. also. There is no blend about it.

The higher end oils are just PAO based oils with better additive packs. The SSO is the highest end oil and is warrantied for 35,000 miles between changes:eek: :D

/ API Oil Ratings #10  
1586 said:
The XL line is a synthetic and not a blend. It is a hydro processed oil similar to Pennzoil Platnum, Castrol Syntec and Rotella syn. also. There is no blend about it.

The higher end oils are just PAO based oils with better additive packs. The SSO is the highest end oil and is warrantied for 35,000 miles between changes:eek: :D

ya, you are right if you think a group III is a synthetic (same class as 4 or 5). There XL line is a total ripoff. It is a blend since it only goes 7500; plus as UOA show. There SSO, for most people will NOT go 35K miles. That is what I love about America. You can call a grp III a synthetic...gotta love it.

crashz is correct and that is why it is API cert. For me, I could careless on API certs. For their price, but Walfarts "synthetic oil" and save about 60%.