What do I do with contaminated diesel?

/ What do I do with contaminated diesel? #1  

pennwalk

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 186D
I have 6 or 7 gallons of diesel that started to grow algae that I drained out of the tractor and what was left in the yellow can that is sitting in the barn. Is there any use for it or do I take it down to the Household Hazardous Waste Center?

Chris

/ What do I do with contaminated diesel? #3  
Since diesel is a distillate - why couldnt you take it to a waste oil recycle location??

just wondering

brian

/ What do I do with contaminated diesel? #4  
thatguy said:
Since diesel is a distillate - why couldnt you take it to a waste oil recycle location??

just wondering

brian

You could, but you would really need to verfiy with the collection point to make sure it was acceptable to them.

With us, it would be perfectly acceptable.

If it were mine (and I did not use it as fire starter which is what I use mine for) I would cut it in with the used oil and slowly dispose of it that way.

/ What do I do with contaminated diesel? #5  
My county has a "Hazardous Material Cleanup Day" every few months. They collect the stuff that otherwise would be sitting in barns, or worse, that someone would dump behind the garage. They take diesel. Maybe check with your local government.

/ What do I do with contaminated diesel? #6  
Mix it with some sump oil and paint your barn , fence posts , wooden gates etc . It will give them a new lease on life and make them last it will soak in and is no more dangerous than the products you buy to do the same job .

/ What do I do with contaminated diesel? #7  
Iron Horse has the right idea, I've been painting my barn with that mix for the last 30 years. It keeps it a nice medium brown color, and is more durable than paint. The wife has a concern that it will make the barn more suseptable to fire but to my way of thinking with 100 year old wood, it's already in that state of grace.

/ What do I do with contaminated diesel? #8  
termite / ant killer

/ What do I do with contaminated diesel? #9  
I use all old gas and diesel for burning garbage. If it's legal in your area . I could pay for garbage pickup @ 350 bucks a year but burn and recycle instead. I save at least 300 dollars a year that way. That probably pays for my Bota diesel and all mantanence. Later, ihookem.

/ What do I do with contaminated diesel? #10  
I'd take it to a used oil collection place. Both Auto Zone and Advanced Auto have collection tanks that you can pour used oil into.

Diesel would just be distilled off as its own cut from the used oil.

Ralph