Another Diesel storage Question?

/ Another Diesel storage Question? #1  

MDM

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800HST
I just ran to the local fuel station that carries the off-road diesel because I had heard they were about out. I bought all they had left at $3.50 gallon. I ended up getting 47 gallons in a 55 gallon blue poly drum. I should have it used up by Oct. - November. The drum is in my unheated attached garage and is out of direct sunlight. I have it sitting on a skid. I added about 24 oz of Power Service Diesel Kleen to it.

Will I have to worry about algea build up in 8 months time under these storing conditions? Any other concerns I should have?

/ Another Diesel storage Question? #2  
I believe it's the water that allows the algae to grow. Make sure there's no water in it and you should be fine. I hear stories all the time about people firing up some OLD piece of equipment that's been sitting around for years, using the fuel it had when it was last running. Never did it myself though.

Speaking of storing fuel... I bought some 5 gal, white plastic, KEROSENE containers that were on clearance at WalMart. I put in some dyed off-road diesel and by the end of summer I had this dark-reddish-brown buildup (really thin and flaked off when dry) along the sides of the container.

Moral is: Sometimes it matters WHAT you choose to store your fuel in more than how long it's stored.

/ Another Diesel storage Question? #3  
My Benz was stored for 4 1/2 years while we were in Singapore. The diesel was brown, but didn't have any algae. It developed that slight ping at steady, middle speed like it did not long after I bought it (after sitting on the showroom floor with 22k miles on it, one year old). Used Chevron Techron both times.

I drove it with the brown diesel until it was gone. It did develop a burned valve about a year later. Figure that was from a slight rust spot from storage and their not starting it (were supposed to once/month, but the battery was stone dead when it was delivered).

Still driving it. It runs and looks great. Just wish it had 100 hp instead of its 65 hp.

Ralph

/ Another Diesel storage Question?
Where could I get the Biocide stuff, just to be safe? Walmart, Autozone?