API CH and Gas station diesel

/ API CH and Gas station diesel #1  

ammodram

Tractor
Kubota L245DT
All -

Quick question about API certifications. The oil I just put into my Kubota is New Holland 10w30 with CH-4 certification as the highest listed on the bucket.

My question is: can I run regular gas station diesel (which I presume is ultra-low sulfur) in the tractor without any fear of anything gumming up or other adverse consequences, or do I need to run off-road diesel?

I was told by a dealer that not having the latest API certs (I,J) only caused engine problems in very new semi-truck engines, and should not have any effect on the engine of an old tractor like mine (circa 1980).

I was also told that New Holland branded oil is still using the older certification because they have not been able to find a formulation meeting the newer grades that has as much anti-wear property. I find that a little hard to believe, but he said that's why they haven't come out with a more up-to-date cert.

I will be using the tractor infrequently, and don't want to make a special effort to get off-road diesel.

Thanks for your help, as always!

-Matt

/ API CH and Gas station diesel #2  
Running ULSD from a gas station will be perfectly fine. Offroad diesel is often the same thing with red dye added; when it isn't, it's higher sulfur and definitely not better for your engine's lubricated parts, though it is a bit easier on the injectors and high pressure fuel pump.

I was going to ask about the dated CH certification but you explained it. I'm sure the NH oil is fine, but I personally use Shell Rotella-T in my JD (CI-4+ is what I have in it at the moment). Maybe Dieselpower can comment on the additive package issue. I think he has said in the past that the newest CJ-4 spec is just fine for absolutely everything that uses C_ rated diesel engine oil.

/ API CH and Gas station diesel
Z-Michigan:

The reason I'm using the New Holland (rather than Rotella or other standard 15w-40) is that it's 10w30, which is definitely harder to find in a diesel oil these days. The NH oil made the old Kubota start really nicely the other day, compared with whatever was in it when I bought it (prob 15w-40, but I don't know). 10w-30 is the weight that a dealer recommended for this model (L245DT).

A related question that I just remembered. In the Kubota owner's manual, there is some very poorly-worded English about washing out the inside of the crankcase (maybe something about a screen, too) when you change oil viscosity. I can't understand what they are talking about. Has anybody ever done this? Seems an excessive amount of work to do when changing oil viscosity.

Matt

/ API CH and Gas station diesel #4  
I've never heard of anyone washing the crankcase when changing oil viscosity.

Your logic on the 10W-30 makes sense. I'm actually running synthetic 5W-40 so I probably get similar benefits. I don't know anything about your model tractor and don't disagree with what the dealer recommended.