Can gas storage tank be converted to diesel

/ Can gas storage tank be converted to diesel #1  

Slippy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6000 4wd; IH x2; NHTC40DSS; International 1086; JD 5115M
I have been searching for a storage tank for diesel fuel. New tanks are very expensive. So, I have found a used overhead 300 gallon tank that was used last year for gasoline. My question is; can I now use it for diesel storage w/o concern for damage to my equipment? If I need to clean it out, how do I do that, water, kerosine? What do I do with the stuff that comes out and do I have to fill it up all the way in order to properly flush if thats what I have to do? It has a shut off valve and filter.

I could spend 7 or $800 and buy a new tank, but is it worth it, am I too concerned about the issue, or should I spend the extra money on a new tank to avoid the risk of damaging my equipment.

I have called my local vendor, and they do not provide tanks. I can buy one for $1000+ plus pump through them.

Thoughts, experience?
Thanks.

/ Can gas storage tank be converted to diesel #2  
I would drain the gas out, replace the filter, fill with diesel and never worry about it.

/ Can gas storage tank be converted to diesel #3  
Slippy said:
I have been searching for a storage tank for diesel fuel. New tanks are very expensive. So, I have found a used overhead 300 gallon tank that was used last year for gasoline. My question is; can I now use it for diesel storage w/o concern for damage to my equipment? If I need to clean it out, how do I do that, water, kerosine? What do I do with the stuff that comes out and do I have to fill it up all the way in order to properly flush if thats what I have to do? It has a shut off valve and filter.

I could spend 7 or $800 and buy a new tank, but is it worth it, am I too concerned about the issue, or should I spend the extra money on a new tank to avoid the risk of damaging my equipment.

I have called my local vendor, and they do not provide tanks. I can buy one for $1000+ plus pump through them.

Thoughts, experience?
Thanks.
The gas never hurt it .

/ Can gas storage tank be converted to diesel #4  
Just be sure it isn't galvanized inside. Diesel shouldn't be stored in galvanized tanks.

/ Can gas storage tank be converted to diesel #5  
Skyco said:
Just be sure it isn't galvanized inside. Diesel shouldn't be stored in galvanized tanks.
That's why I used only black pipe brass and plastic fittings on my pump and drum set up.
No galvanized steel pipe and fittings.

/ Can gas storage tank be converted to diesel #6  
firemanpat2910 said:
I would drain the gas out, replace the filter, fill with diesel and never worry about it.
That's exactly what I would suggest except while it is empty, I would slosh a gallon of diesel around in the bottom to rinse it out in case there is some trash left.

/ Can gas storage tank be converted to diesel #7  
I wouldn't hurt anything if there were a few gallons of gas left in it.

/ Can gas storage tank be converted to diesel #8  
If there is a bunch of sediment in the bottom of it I'd clean it out. If it's clean and just about empty fill it with diesel.

If there's some gas left in it don't worry. Some manufacturers actually tell you to mix some gas with you diesel in the winter time if #1 diesel isn't available.

/ Can gas storage tank be converted to diesel
Thanks for the info. Still looking for a tank at this point. Can't believe how steel prices have gone up.

/ Can gas storage tank be converted to diesel #10  
Slippy said:
. Still looking for a tank at this point.
What happened to the 300 gallon one you posted about?
How much fuel do you use a month?
Are you sure you need a 300 gallon one?
I Have a 55,30&15 gallon drum.
I can store up to 100 gallon this way but keep it around 30 gallon a month for now.