Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    1,027
    Location
    Ohio
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6000 4wd; IH x2; NHTC40DSS; International 1086; JD 5525

    Default Can gas storage tank be converted to diesel

    I have been searching for a storage tank for diesel fuel. New tanks are very expensive. So, I have found a used overhead 300 gallon tank that was used last year for gasoline. My question is; can I now use it for diesel storage w/o concern for damage to my equipment? If I need to clean it out, how do I do that, water, kerosine? What do I do with the stuff that comes out and do I have to fill it up all the way in order to properly flush if thats what I have to do? It has a shut off valve and filter.

    I could spend 7 or $800 and buy a new tank, but is it worth it, am I too concerned about the issue, or should I spend the extra money on a new tank to avoid the risk of damaging my equipment.

    I have called my local vendor, and they do not provide tanks. I can buy one for $1000+ plus pump through them.

    Thoughts, experience?
    Thanks.
    Slippy

  2. #2
    Platinum Member firemanpat2910's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    899
    Location
    Havana Fla
    Tractor
    Ford 2910II

    Default Re: Can gas storage tank be converted to diesel

    I would drain the gas out, replace the filter, fill with diesel and never worry about it.

  3. #3
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    16,854
    Location
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

    Default Re: Can gas storage tank be converted to diesel

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy
    I have been searching for a storage tank for diesel fuel. New tanks are very expensive. So, I have found a used overhead 300 gallon tank that was used last year for gasoline. My question is; can I now use it for diesel storage w/o concern for damage to my equipment? If I need to clean it out, how do I do that, water, kerosine? What do I do with the stuff that comes out and do I have to fill it up all the way in order to properly flush if thats what I have to do? It has a shut off valve and filter.

    I could spend 7 or $800 and buy a new tank, but is it worth it, am I too concerned about the issue, or should I spend the extra money on a new tank to avoid the risk of damaging my equipment.

    I have called my local vendor, and they do not provide tanks. I can buy one for $1000+ plus pump through them.

    Thoughts, experience?
    Thanks.
    The gas never hurt it .
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

  4. #4
    Elite Member Skyco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,718
    Location
    SC/NC

    Default Re: Can gas storage tank be converted to diesel

    Just be sure it isn't galvanized inside. Diesel shouldn't be stored in galvanized tanks.

  5. #5
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    16,854
    Location
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

    Default Re: Can gas storage tank be converted to diesel

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyco
    Just be sure it isn't galvanized inside. Diesel shouldn't be stored in galvanized tanks.
    That's why I used only black pipe brass and plastic fittings on my pump and drum set up.
    No galvanized steel pipe and fittings.
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

  6. #6
    Super Member JerryG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    7,186
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Tractor
    MF 1440-4 PowerShuttle

    Default Re: Can gas storage tank be converted to diesel

    Quote Originally Posted by firemanpat2910
    I would drain the gas out, replace the filter, fill with diesel and never worry about it.
    That's exactly what I would suggest except while it is empty, I would slosh a gallon of diesel around in the bottom to rinse it out in case there is some trash left.

  7. #7
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    535
    Location
    Brookeville, MD
    Tractor
    TC33D

    Default Re: Can gas storage tank be converted to diesel

    I wouldn't hurt anything if there were a few gallons of gas left in it.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    25
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Tractor
    Yanmar 155d

    Default Re: Can gas storage tank be converted to diesel

    If there is a bunch of sediment in the bottom of it I'd clean it out. If it's clean and just about empty fill it with diesel.

    If there's some gas left in it don't worry. Some manufacturers actually tell you to mix some gas with you diesel in the winter time if #1 diesel isn't available.
    Yanmar 155d. 15 Horses under the hood and you can hear every one of them.

  9. #9
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    1,027
    Location
    Ohio
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6000 4wd; IH x2; NHTC40DSS; International 1086; JD 5525

    Default Re: Can gas storage tank be converted to diesel

    Thanks for the info. Still looking for a tank at this point. Can't believe how steel prices have gone up.
    Slippy

  10. #10
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    16,854
    Location
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

    Default Re: Can gas storage tank be converted to diesel

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy
    . Still looking for a tank at this point.
    What happened to the 300 gallon one you posted about?
    How much fuel do you use a month?
    Are you sure you need a 300 gallon one?
    I Have a 55,30&15 gallon drum.
    I can store up to 100 gallon this way but keep it around 30 gallon a month for now.
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2013 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.