A question on diesel fuel and cans

/ A question on diesel fuel and cans #1  

smallfarmer

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubot BX2350
I'm buying diesel 5 gallons at a time and generally empty it into the tractor when I get home. My thought was that I didn't really want to keep a full can around due to the gelling (winter) or the fungus stuff (summer) that I've read about. Now i'm wondering about the small amount of leftover fuel in the can until the next fill up. Should I be using a fungus inhibitor in the can between fill ups? It does get pretty hot in the garage in the summer.

/ A question on diesel fuel and cans #2  
smallfarmer said:
I'm buying diesel 5 gallons at a time and generally empty it into the tractor when I get home. My thought was that I didn't really want to keep a full can around due to the gelling (winter) or the fungus stuff (summer) that I've read about. Now i'm wondering about the small amount of leftover fuel in the can until the next fill up. Should I be using a fungus inhibitor in the can between fill ups? It does get pretty hot in the garage in the summer.
How long does 5 gallon last you?
The answer to this depnds on the answer to your question.

/ A question on diesel fuel and cans #3  
smallfarmer said:
My thought was that I didn't really want to keep a full can around due to the gelling (winter) or the fungus stuff (summer) that I've read about.
You should pour a product like PowerService and a algaecide into the can before filling it with diesel. With the numerous threads on here about diesel storage systems it's easy to conclude you need something complicated. If you don't use a lot of fuel, you do not need drums, tanks and pumps.

I use three 5 gallon cans. I pour PowerService and Racor Biocide in each can then fill with diesel. Some of the cans sit for up to 10 months before I use them. No gelling and no algae. This simple procedure ensures both the fuel in the cans and the tractor tank are treated.

/ A question on diesel fuel and cans #4  
MikePA said:
If you don't use a lot of fuel,
*you do not need drums, tanks and pumps.I use three 5 gallon cans.
*True but a pump plumbed up like this would sure make handling those 5 gallon cans a breeze.

100_2296-1.jpg

/ A question on diesel fuel and cans
Right now I'm using about 5 gal a week (it's a new tractor) but as I get caught up with the bucket work etc. I will taper off and over the winter it will be used to move the solid rain out of the way. I'm more worried about some gooped up fuel residue contaminating the fresh fuel and my filters at a greater rate over time. I'll take your advice and get some of that stuff. Thank you.

/ A question on diesel fuel and cans #6  
smallfarmer said:
Right now I'm using about 5 gal a week (it's a new tractor) but as I get caught up with the bucket work etc. I will taper off and over the winter it will be used to move the solid rain out of the way. I'm more worried about some gooped up fuel residue contaminating the fresh fuel and my filters at a greater rate over time. I'll take your advice and get some of that stuff. Thank you.
Are you using the red fuel?

/ A question on diesel fuel and cans #7  
I buy diesel in three 5 gallon containers at a time. They last a little over 30 hours, about 1/3 year.

I had a diesel car stored for 6 months once. Came home, brought the battery up from the garage, put in car, glowed it, and it started instantly. No problems whatsoever.

Next time, diesel car was stored for 4 1/2 years. Diesel was a tad brown but no fungi. Had to use Chevron Techron to stop the constant speed pinging. Had to do this when I bought the car at one year old on the showroom floor. About a year or so later, the valves had to be ground. Don't think it was due to the fuel. Likely, one valve got a rust spot on it from sitting and now being started. They were supposed to have started it once/month, but the battery came back stone dead. They hadn't been doing it.

Think you only get the fungi if you get some water in the fuel.

Ralph

/ A question on diesel fuel and cans #8  
smallfarmer said:
1*I'm using about 5 gal a week
2*I'm more worried about some gooped up fuel residue contaminating the fresh fuel and my filters at a greater rate over time.///////
///////1*I'm guess ta mating that my 30 gallon drum will last me 8 to 12 weeks.
At 5 gallon per week you're well above that.
It was well worth it to me to set up my drum and pump rig.
2* You need a Mr Funnell to take care of that.