Answer to who makes J Deere oils, etc.

/ Answer to who makes J Deere oils, etc. #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I stumbled upon a site that lists the specs of the various JD oils that happens to also list the maker of the product as well as tech data. For example, Chevron makes a lot but different makers for different products. It is very interesting.

http://eservice.msds.com/servlet/SSMain

You click on the above site and then type in "oil" under product name and the whole list will come up. Give it a minute and click OK along the way if you have to.

This is for the purist and I hope it helps. It's a wealth of general info

Last edited:
   / Answer to who makes J Deere oils, etc. #2  
Says I need a Username and Password? :confused:

/ Answer to who makes J Deere oils, etc.
Oops--I am very sorry. My computer must have remembered my password or something. I didn't think I needed a password.
Give me a day on this and I'll try to figure it out. Sorry for the trouble and thanks for saying somehting.

OK try this.

Oils and Lubricants

Get to this page and click on "Material Safety Data Sheets"

When the next screen comes up click on "Yes, proceed to third party website" and THEN type in OIL under product name. That should work and would someone please let me know if it does?

/ Answer to who makes J Deere oils, etc. #5  
Yep. Works!!

Thanks for the info.

My 0W-40 is made by Exxon. Great. As if they aren't making enough of an obscene profit off me. :(

Another interesting point is that "break-in oil" oil really is break-in oil and not regular oil. Think of the thousands of words tossed around in that debate.

/ Answer to who makes J Deere oils, etc. #7  
Not surprising that Exxon makes some or all of the oil. Exxon supplies more non-Exxon companies than probably almost anyone. When I was working, they supplied ALL of Castrol's oils, for instance. Castrol never (and probably still don't) make a drop of oil.

The lube oil manufacturing plant that I worked in as a new graduate in Baytown, Texas is still probably the largest lube oil manufacturing plant in the world. Second largest in the US was their lube and wax plant in Baton Rouge, La but tied with another major supplier. The Baton Rouge plant is the largest wax supplier in the US. Wax is removed from oil to lower the pour point.

Some manufacturers (incl. Exxon) convert some wax to a semi synthetic oil.

Of course, Mobil makes and sells a full synthetic that is made from a poly alpha olefin feedstock that is VERY expensive, because it is used to make automobile plastics.

Don't complain to oil companies about the price of gasoline or diesel. They make very little money on these. The price is set mainly by the feedstock (crude) price. Just divide the price of crude by 42 to get the per gallon feedstock price. You'll find only about 60 or 70 cents add-on by manufacturing, taxes and shipping. The biggest add-on is taxes.

What oil companies are really making money on is specialties, like oil and plastics, but also in their share of the price of crude they take from wells. However, the price of crude is being set by demand and the main suppliers in Arabia, Russian, Mexico and Venezuela. What's really setting the price is DEMAND. You're contributing to it if you're not running the lowest hp tractor, truck and car you can get by with and by excessive mowing and other things. Think about that truck or car use. If you really only need to tow or carry big loads on rare occasions, consider renting a Uhaul or similar to do those towing or hauling duties. Even a little 10' Uhaul would carry a pretty good load and pull a big trailer.

You're also contributing if you let your tractor, truck or car sit and idle for long periods of time. I stopped by a garage sale the other day during the week, in the morning. I parked, shut off my car engine and went to look. A contractor came in, parked beside my little car with his HUGE Ford F150 and left it running! I asked him about this. He said he didn't care; his employer paid for the gas. Well, guess who is causing more demand and raising the price of his gas: HIM.

Ralph