I am simply baffled

/ I am simply baffled #1  

Wayne County Hose

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson model 85, Allis-Chalmers WD-45
I do not want to single anyone out, because I know this is very common. But, please, for the love of God, can someone please help me figure something out. Why on God's green earth would someone do hours of research and negotiating, pay tens of thousands of dollars for a machine, then put the cheapest possible garbage junk lubricants they could find in it? Maybe it's just me and I am wrong as usual.

Okay, I feel much better now. Thank-you.

/ I am simply baffled #2  
How about putting waste oil in the fuel tank?

Pay 30K$ for a nice diesel tractor.. then want to put last quartes oil drainings into it...

I can't figure that one out..

Soundguy

/ I am simply baffled #3  
Wayne County Hose said:
I do not want to single anyone out, because I know this is very common. But, please, for the love of God, can someone please help me figure something out. Why on God's green earth would someone do hours of research and negotiating, pay tens of thousands of dollars for a machine, then put the cheapest possible garbage junk lubricants they could find in it? Maybe it's just me and I am wrong as usual.

Okay, I feel much better now. Thank-you.

Andy, It happens all the time
I respect my stuff very highly and others should also

:eek:

/ I am simply baffled #4  
Wayne County,

Couldn't agree more.

What bugs me is, I try to do it right, go to the dealer, willing to spend the BIG bucks for the EXACT stuff the manual calls for, but the dealer(s) don't have it. They want me to substitute something else (for example, the manual says 5W-20 or 10W-30 oil) and they tell me to use 15W-40 because "that's what they put in everything".

Same with hydro fluid. When I asked for the regular hygard, they looked at me like I was from outer space.

So, in order to put in the correct weight oil, I was forced to buy non-John Deere oil. I eventually did find a dealer that stocked the regular weight hydro fluid. (I know the manual says you can use the low-vis, but I figured if it's shipped from the factory with the regular vis stuff, that should be better - besides, I like the color better...)

/ I am simply baffled #5  
On this forum, you must define "cheapest possible garbage junk lubricants". Then, you need to know what area of the USA you are in..hint hint.

/ I am simply baffled #6  
The cheapest thing you can do to any vehicle or machine for that matter is change the oil. I love people who go 20,000 miles on a change.

Chris

/ I am simply baffled #7  
Diamondpilot said:
The cheapest thing you can do to any vehicle or machine for that matter is change the oil. I love people who go 20,000 miles on a change.

Chris

Cheap does not mean it shows more wear in UOA though; so, I would not say that is a bad thing.

/ I am simply baffled #8  
Diamondpilot said:

Chris

You ought to get a real kick out of me then! Let's see.... 1996 Cummins, traded at 1.4 million miles, No major work to engine except a head gasket and a couple of injectors, still working at new place, got oil changes at 30,000 miles with Kendall 15w40 and Baldwin filters and UOA's. I know it's a semi, but you did say ANY vehicle or machine. :D :D

/ I am simply baffled #9  
Gotcha beat.. we sold an 80 mack tractor that used to haul milk. ( we used it to pull a flatbed / equipment transport/ road contractor..e tc.. ) had 1.2m on it when we got it in '90 or so.. we put another mil on it, and sold it to a contractor that took it overseas. Had the rear, rear end replaced twice in it's life, and the air compressor replaced.. one time we actually dropped the pan and check the mains.. they looked fine and buttoned it back up no new shells even... felt wrong.. but heck.. wasn't even any wear thru the first shiny layer!.

Ran fina sae 30w diesel in it.. and napa filters... held pretty good amount of oil.. like 10g or so... Think we did 10K change intervals on it.

Ran like a r@ped ape...

soundguy

/ I am simply baffled #10  
The one that makes me say hmmm is the recommendation by the OEM to change oil filter every other oil change. Both my Kubota and Honda mini van say the same thing. The Kubota says oil every 100 filter 200. Amazing Honda and Kubota both say that as they are regarded in their fields for longevity when it comes to engines.

I change the filter every time because I don't have X-ray vision to see in there and to make me feel better but who knows maybe its overkill?

Been using Mobil-1 oil and filters.