Synthetic vs Dino for lawn tractor

/ Synthetic vs Dino for lawn tractor #11  
SteveInMD said:
A major advantage of synthetic oil is tolerance of high engine temperatures. I believe it's especially important to use synthetic oil in any air cooled engine.

As for the brand I have no strong opinion.

That is my thoughts.. I just started using synthetics in the push mower and honda generator this summer.. I figured that since they both only get used little and Im going to change it at least 1x a year the extra expense would be worth it..

They are running Mobil 1 - But I just ordered some Amsoil for the next changes..

Brian

/ Synthetic vs Dino for lawn tractor #12  
I would use synthetic oil. It only takes 2 qts. right? I don't think small gas engines have a good life span, mostly cause of ethonal gas. Ethonal gas runs hotter, along with an air cooled motor? Change it once a year and Amsoil or Mobil 1 will set you back a whole 7 bucks a year. For 20 years it is 140 extra dollars for the life of the engine. The engine will last longer though.

/ Synthetic vs Dino for lawn tractor #13  
I've been running Shell RTS 5-40 synthetic in my, it's actually my nephew's now, Craftsman's 26 HP Kohler since '02 or so. We change the oil and filter every other year.

Don't know if it makes a difference or not, although I'm sure it doesn't hurt anything; I do it because all I have in the garage is the RTS and Mobil 1 (for the motorcycles), and it makes for a less complicated inventory. :D