55 Gallon Drum gauge

/ 55 Gallon Drum gauge #1  

PaulT

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 2710
I'm looking at gauges to install in the other bung of the 55 gallon drum I use for diesel. Most of these say they fit 1.5 inch NPT, which I think is standard on the drum. They say they need anywhere from 5" to 22" of clearance under the gauge, with float travel from 4" to 16". How can these be accurate in a 55 gallon drum if the depth is greater than the clearance distance. It seems if the clearance distance is less than the total drum height, then you will be innacurate on when it reaches E, and if the float travel stops before the top, then you will be innacurate on when it reaches F. Am I missing something, here/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif? Any thoughts? (BTW, I am looking on pages 85-87 in the 2001 Surplus Center catalog if you have one.)

/ 55 Gallon Drum gauge #2  
I'd agree Paul, when the float hits the bottom of it's travel it's going to show empty while you may have a lot of fluid remaining in the drum. Is your drum vertical or horizontal? If it's horizontal with the "side" bung on top, you'll have some useful range with that gage.

BTW, the drums I'm familiar with have 2" NPT bungs /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ 55 Gallon Drum gauge
Yep, the drum I have has a 2 inch fitting, which is where my pump goes. It also has a 1 inch (I think) fitting, which acts as an air escape during filling, but not much else any other time. I would like to get a gauge that would thread into that hole. I know the drum is a used, metal Rotella oil drum. I have the drum on end, not on its side, cause that's the kind of pump I have. (Also so it doesn't roll away/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif). I am still looking for a good working solution to the gauge problem. More thoughts, please?

/ 55 Gallon Drum gauge #4  
I'm not sure from your description which type of gauge you have, but the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?xi=xi&ItemId=1611698190>Grainger Drum Level Gauge</A> is designed to go into the smaller bung, will allow a valve or hose to be put in series, and is used with the drum in a horizontal position. There is a sight glass that tells the amount of remaining fluid. The horizontal position allows the drum to be drained by gravity rather than by a pump, but a pump could be used.

I don't think the gauges in the Surplus Center Catalog are for 55gal drums.