Home heating oil tank as diesel storage tank

/ Home heating oil tank as diesel storage tank #1  

Boiler74

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4710
I'm sure this has been answered here, but a search didn't get me a good answer. I have access to a older home heating oil tank. It's still in a basement, and in good shape. House was converted long ago to natural gas. The tank as two threaded holes on top, as well as a smaller drain hole in the bottom of it. Can I take this out and convert it to store diesel? It's empty and sound, so it seems like I could. But maybe there are reasons I can't. Any experience with this?

Any advice appreciated.

Josh

/ Home heating oil tank as diesel storage tank #2  
It should work fine. Home heating oil is basically the same or similar to diesel. I would just make sure you flush it out before use as their could be water, sediment, rust etc. in it.

/ Home heating oil tank as diesel storage tank
Thanks. I thought that would be the case, but wanted to make sure.

Josh

/ Home heating oil tank as diesel storage tank #4  
Boiler74 said:
I'm sure this has been answered here, but a search didn't get me a good answer. I have access to a older home heating oil tank. It's still in a basement, and in good shape. House was converted long ago to natural gas. The tank has two threaded holes on top, as well as a smaller drain hole in the bottom of it.
1*Can I take this out and convert it to store diesel?
2*It's empty .
3*But maybe there are reasons I can't.
Josh
1*Yep if its clean and rust free.
2*Darn full would have been nicer.
3*HHO and diesel are the same thing here so there's no reason ya can't.

/ Home heating oil tank as diesel storage tank #5  
I have a similar tank at my house - what would I do to clean it out, as I know there is sediment in there.

Sorry for the hijack...

/ Home heating oil tank as diesel storage tank #7  
LBrown59 said:
What are you using the tank for now?

My guess would be 'for a lamp'.

/ Home heating oil tank as diesel storage tank #8  
Nickthegrip said:
I have a similar tank at my house - what would I do to clean it out, as I know there is sediment in there.

Sorry for the hijack...

I'd recommend you flush it out as best you can with diesel fuel several times and then just put a good filter in your output line. I know about a dozen or so guys who have the 250 - 300 gallon tanks from old houses now in use as diesel tanks. They work very well. You can buy all the parts you need, including electric transfer pumps if you want, from Rural King or TSC.

/ Home heating oil tank as diesel storage tank #9  
If you were going to use a 275 gallon heating oil tank, wouldn't you have to worry about condensation buildup if you weren't going through a heck of a lot of diesel fuel? I have a couple of spare tanks, but thought one would be too big for the rate that I use diesel, just for one 38 horse tractor. Does diesel go bad with age like gasoline?

/ Home heating oil tank as diesel storage tank #10  
jimainiac said:
wouldn't you have to worry about condensation buildup if you weren't going through a heck of a lot of diesel fuel?
That's why you put a filter on the line and there is a drain plug on the bottom of the tank.
Also the whole tank isn't going to go old cause you're using from it.

I set me up a 30 gallon tank and pump figuring 30 gallon would last me 2 or 3 months .
I used 27 gallon of it in about 40 or 45 days.