Tractor
    bx-23 ,

Default can i burn my waste oil somehow?

With the price of heating oil,im thinking about taking out my oil furnace in the garage and installing a wood stove .I use it when im out tinkering in the shop it works good,but at 5 dollars a gallon ive had enough.Iwas just wondering,before i take it outcan i burnmy waste oil in my hot air furnace?I generate 10 or 20 gallons a year in all my mechanic work.Could i screen it or thin it with kerosene.Even if i need to use a different nozzle thats ok,cause its free oilHAS ANYONE EVER DONE SOMETHING LIKE THIS,or is it a pipe dream?
    ALAN
    KUBOTA BX-23,Block heater, AG TIRES[rears filled],MECHANICAL THUMB,SALSCO CHIPPER,WOODS LRC60 LANDSCAPE RAKE WITH GAUGE WHEELS,,HOMEMADE BUCKET FORKS,QUICK HITCH FOR 3 POINT HITCH,HOMEMADE FRONT BUCKET MOUNTED QUICK HITCH[for 3 point implements], FARM FORCE 6 FT 3 POINT BLADE,MARKHAM TOOTHBAR,HOMEMADE TRAILER HITCH FOR BACKHOE, HOMEMADE HEATED STEEL AND FIBERGLASS CAB,54 INCH PRONOVOST PUMA 3 POINT SNOW BLOWER,WITH HYDRAULIC CHUTE CONTROL,REAR TIRE CHAINS,UPGRADED 40 AMP ALTERNATOR,4-55W LIGHTS

Tractor
    Kubota, B7100HST-D

Default Re: can i burn my waste oil somehow?

Check out the mother earth news website for a waste oil burner. If you search the forums here at TBN you will find a thread where someone built one.
    Steve

The best things in life are not things.

Tractor
    JD 3020, JD 4230, JD 7410, JD 2440, MF 750, NH LS170

Will it burn, sure. Will it burn well, depends on the furnace I supose. Is it good for the furnace, doubtful. I would be worried about severe deposits in the combustion chamber and of the injector nozzle.

If you can find a couple of friends who are also in your boat, having waste oil to get rid of that is I would think about getting a waste oil burner/heater. I have a Klean Oil furnace in my shop and love it. I got a 500,000 BTU one and use about 400 gallons of oil in the winter. I actually end up with more waste oil than I can use (I collect from a bunch of local shops) and end up selling the remainder to a recycler.

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by escavader
    With the price of heating oil,im thinking about taking out my oil furnace in the garage and installing a wood stove .I use it when im out tinkering in the shop it works good,but at 5 dollars a gallon ive had enough.Iwas just wondering,before i take it out can i burnmy waste oil in my hot air furnace?I generate 10 or 20 gallons a year in all my mechanic work.Could i screen it or thin it with kerosene.Even if i need to use a different nozzle thats ok,cause its free oilHAS ANYONE EVER DONE SOMETHING LIKE THIS,or is it a pipe dream?
    ALAN
    Do you use the HO to heat your house as well as the garage?
    What about your tractor do you run your tractor on the H O ?
    I don't think I would remove the garage oil heater
    but would just add a wood stove if i wanted one.
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Tractor
    John Deere 770, Bobcat 753

I think waste oil burners operate at higher temps and injection pressures as well as have better filtering capability. If you decide to go that route, I'd be interested on how it work. Let us know!
    I've had a wonderful evening, but this wasn't it. ~ Groucho Marx

Platinum Member

I looked into a waste oil heater a couple years ago and as with anything else that would supposedly save money it cost nearly twice as much as a regular furnace for propane. I did see some cheap ones but the construction of them made me a little nervous.

All of my waste oil does get recycled though. Starting fires, oiling chains, killing weeds. Killing mosquitoes. There's always a use for it.

Tractor
    JD 3020, JD 4230, JD 7410, JD 2440, MF 750, NH LS170

My waste oil furnace paid for itself in about 2 1/2 years. Don't forget the fuel is free!!!

Tractor
    JD TLB 110

You might want to get that oil analyzed before you do this.

Waste oil has a fair amount of heavy metals suspended in it from bearing wear.

When you burn it the lead does not form little BBs in the firebox and drop out the bottom. It forms finely divided lead oxide particles which settle out of the air, usually in the immediate neighborhood of the stack.

If you want to pollute you own house with lead, I can't stop you, but to me $5 gal for clean kerosene or diesel to burn at home seems like a bargain.
    40 Acres on a hill - fantastic view. JD 110 TLB, 4-n-1, 12" bucket, 18" bucket, Addington thumb, rock bucket (doubles as root grapple)

Not only do we not understand the universe, if someone explained it to us, we would not know what he was talking about.

Isaac Asimov

There are probably a few other nice heavy metals in the used motor oil also. Some will go out as fumes and others go out in the ash.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones