can i burn my waste oil somehow?

/ can i burn my waste oil somehow? #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
With the price of heating oil,im thinking about taking out my oil furnace in the garage and installing a wood stove .I use it when im out tinkering in the shop it works good,but at 5 dollars a gallon ive had enough.Iwas just wondering,before i take it outcan i burnmy waste oil in my hot air furnace?I generate 10 or 20 gallons a year in all my mechanic work.Could i screen it or thin it with kerosene.Even if i need to use a different nozzle thats ok,cause its free oil:)HAS ANYONE EVER DONE SOMETHING LIKE THIS,or is it a pipe dream?
ALAN

/ can i burn my waste oil somehow? #2  
Check out the mother earth news website for a waste oil burner. If you search the forums here at TBN you will find a thread where someone built one.

/ can i burn my waste oil somehow? #3  
Will it burn, sure. Will it burn well, depends on the furnace I supose. Is it good for the furnace, doubtful. I would be worried about severe deposits in the combustion chamber and of the injector nozzle.

If you can find a couple of friends who are also in your boat, having waste oil to get rid of that is I would think about getting a waste oil burner/heater. I have a Klean Oil furnace in my shop and love it. I got a 500,000 BTU one and use about 400 gallons of oil in the winter. I actually end up with more waste oil than I can use (I collect from a bunch of local shops) and end up selling the remainder to a recycler.

/ can i burn my waste oil somehow? #4  
escavader said:
With the price of heating oil,im thinking about taking out my oil furnace in the garage and installing a wood stove .I use it when im out tinkering in the shop it works good,but at 5 dollars a gallon ive had enough.Iwas just wondering,before i take it out can i burnmy waste oil in my hot air furnace?I generate 10 or 20 gallons a year in all my mechanic work.Could i screen it or thin it with kerosene.Even if i need to use a different nozzle thats ok,cause its free oil:)HAS ANYONE EVER DONE SOMETHING LIKE THIS,or is it a pipe dream?
ALAN
Do you use the HO to heat your house as well as the garage?
What about your tractor do you run your tractor on the H O ?
I don't think I would remove the garage oil heater
but would just add a wood stove if i wanted one.

/ can i burn my waste oil somehow? #5  
I think waste oil burners operate at higher temps and injection pressures as well as have better filtering capability. If you decide to go that route, I'd be interested on how it work. Let us know!

/ can i burn my waste oil somehow? #6  
I looked into a waste oil heater a couple years ago and as with anything else that would supposedly save money it cost nearly twice as much as a regular furnace for propane. I did see some cheap ones but the construction of them made me a little nervous.

All of my waste oil does get recycled though. Starting fires, oiling chains, killing weeds. Killing mosquitoes. There's always a use for it.

/ can i burn my waste oil somehow? #7  
My waste oil furnace paid for itself in about 2 1/2 years. Don't forget the fuel is free!!!

/ can i burn my waste oil somehow? #8  
You might want to get that oil analyzed before you do this.

Waste oil has a fair amount of heavy metals suspended in it from bearing wear.

When you burn it the lead does not form little BBs in the firebox and drop out the bottom. It forms finely divided lead oxide particles which settle out of the air, usually in the immediate neighborhood of the stack.

If you want to pollute you own house with lead, I can't stop you, but to me $5 gal for clean kerosene or diesel to burn at home seems like a bargain.

/ can i burn my waste oil somehow? #9  
There are probably a few other nice heavy metals in the used motor oil also. Some will go out as fumes and others go out in the ash.